A question for Maggie owners

I am curious about Maggies in the $3-4K range. I currently have Von Schweikert VR-4JRs fed by Wyred 4 Sound 500 monoblocks, a Modwright pre-amp and a computer based source. I have always been intrigued by planar speakers and a friend of mine sold them out of his store until the store closed. I know the entry level Maggies have a return guarantee but I am sure that they are not everything Maggies can be. What are your thoughts on switching speakers? I am used to the bass of the VSAs, but have a very musical Hsu subwoofer to pair with them. I am satisfied with my system and I am asking out of curiosity and can buy the Maggies to try but don't know if it is worth the effort.
tgrisham
Sorry, Eld, the Schematic clearly shows the fuse for ONLY the mid/tweet. I have a copy right in the other room......
And yes, it will briefly carry more current than 4 amps. I haven't looked at fuse specs but I know it will carry a bunch more for very short times.
I doubt a panel will be damaged by this behavior. Even my MG-1, with a 1.5 amp fuse did the same. i could pop the fuse with somewhere north of 200 watts, but all that would happen would be the highs would go away.

I understand their is another class of fuse which is REALLY fast and designed to protect the most delicate electronics......in addition to 'sloblo' .

On the DIY front, some people will bridge the fuse out and others will pull the connection panel and do a minor rewire job to the same end. Eliminating all those extra connections / wires while of necessity doing away with the biamp / biwire option is said to have some sonic benefits. If I did that, I'd be tempted to install binding posts at the same time....
Magfan... You are right about the fuse. I just checked my schematic. I was going on memory from several years ago when I rebuilt my crossovers.

At work about fifteen years ago I had occasion to look into superfast fuses. These fuses would be located in test equipment and protect transistors in one assembly under test from power coming from a second assembly of the unit under test. (Missile guidance system). The only thing to blow faster than a transistor is another transistor, and that is what the superfast fuses really were. As I recall these fuses would cost about $1,000. The transistors we wanted to protect were inside a sealed gimbaled inertial measurement unit, and to tear it down, fix it, build it up again and test it would cost far more than $1000, so the superfast fuse was not completely ridiculous. In the end we didn't use the fuses. The concern was about reliability of the protected transistors if the ones in the test equipment had blown. Maybe they would still be working, but perhaps not with the extreme reliability we had to meet in the guidance system.
Tgrisham,

I'd consider not just 1.7's, but used 3.6's. Both should leave you plenty of money for subs, which are pretty much mandatory with the 1.7's. I've heard good things about the Wyred with the Maggies, and they're about the right size, but I haven't heard them myself and YMMV -- the Maggies will be more revealing of the high end distortion of Class D amps and that may or may not bother you, depending. If it does, you can always trade for something else. But as I said, a lot of people have had positive results.
Sorry, I've been out of circulation for a few days. I really appreciate all the information. The guidance and advice is priceless. Many of you speak from direct experience-exactly what I wanted. Now, the hunt! Any and all other ideas are welcome....