The Absolute Sound vs Pleasing Sound

I have changed my mind about this over the years. The absolute sound (closest to real live music) just can't be accomplished even though I have heard some spectacular systems that get close on some music. So years ago I changed my system to give me the sound I wanted. I'm much happier now and all my music collection can be enjoyed for what it is: Recorded music.  
128x128russ69
frogman,

Of course, the ideal would be comparing live performance of non-amplified music with whatever we have at home. I was mentioning rock'n'roll because it seems to me that most of the members here (Audiogon, not necessarily only this thread) lean towards electrified performances.

At some point, I recorded a piano. As simple as simple gets, no fancy recording equipment, technique, or conditions. Portable MiniDisc with a microphone (around $70-100, I forgot details) in the room. It was surprising how close that recording actually came to the live piano on a relatively, for Audiogon, modest system. Maybe the secret was that both were in the same room, much smaller than any venue one usually listens to piano at. Our regular recordings are, as millercarbon pointed out, processed to resemble what many people along the way wanted them to resemble. Not always the faithful recreation of the event. Recordings bear some room imprint and attempting to recreate that in a living room may make things more complicated.
Ever confuse jazz brushing for tape hiss?  Which leads you to wonder why the drummer is doing that in the first place?  I’ve learned that it’s an effort to enlarge the sense of ambience.  It’s a drummer practicing the art of illusion.  Even live music resorts to sonic illusions.  
Then the producer does.  Then the engineer.  The pressing team.  
Then our equipment puts a few illusion kisses on things.  As does the room.  As do our ears and brains.  
Performance-wise, a total team effort.  You’re not just hearing the sound of live music, you’re hearing something arguably cooler: multiple layers of coordinated performance, infused with all kinds of human touches, artistic or otherwise.  
When I consider it that way, the question sorta answers itself.  Sometimes you hear wine types talking tasting the terroir (the dirt), but you never hear them say they want to taste JUST the dirt.  
@russ69 

"...unamplified acoustic performances remain the standard for judging how close our systems get to the sound of live. Indeed I do but that is about .01% of the type of music I listen to, so why use that as a standard?

I agree. Why voice your system for something  to which  you don't listen? I listen mostly to classic rock. Fortunately, I also played (drums & vocals) in classic rock bands for years. So I have a good idea of the sound I am looking for. Now IF I put on a piece of acoustic and it doesn't sound correct, I then re-access. I can't remember that ever happening though.

So the “AHA!” moment here is realizing for the first time you’re listening to recorded music???

Glad I learned that 50 years ago....
it all sounds fake and miniaturized -- just pick the flavor and color of fake and miniaturized that makes you happy

but just as with photos and videos of life events with friends and loved ones, the purpose is to bring fond memories, good feelings, joy and comfort - to teleport to the actual event, the real thing, is too high a standard to realistically achieve

thus, as such, it makes the energetic pursuit of a good system that we thoroughly enjoy no less worthwhile