The Absolute Sound vs Pleasing Sound

I have changed my mind about this over the years. The absolute sound (closest to real live music) just can't be accomplished even though I have heard some spectacular systems that get close on some music. So years ago I changed my system to give me the sound I wanted. I'm much happier now and all my music collection can be enjoyed for what it is: Recorded music.  
128x128russ69
Excluding your last sentence, which will thankfully not be applicable for too much longer, what you correctly point out is the reason that unamplified acoustic performances remain the standard for judging how close our systems get to the sound of live. As I’m sure you know that was the basis for the term “the absolute sound”.
Live like sound is always what what I find most satisfying. The more live like the better. It’s why it seems no conventional speaker can ever wean me off Ohm Walsh “Omni” speakers.   Everything sounds live to some extent, not like a studio recording. 
I find conventional box speakers that feature very wide dispersion can come close. The kef ls50 metas (+ powered sub) I added recently are a good example.
"...unamplified acoustic performances remain the standard for judging how close our systems get to the sound of live. As I’m sure you know that was the basis for the term “the absolute sound”..."

Indeed I do but that is about .01% of the type of music I listen to, so why use that as a standard? 
Frog, how are you ?
We always have an unamplified instrument with us - voice. If system doesn't reproduce voice reasonably well it is no good.
Record your voice on tape and play it. Next step play an acoustic guitar, just strike a few accords, record it and play.
If you only listen to amplified and 'synthetic' music, that's easier, though still it is hard to get dynamics right in a small room, and almost any room is small.

Cool. 

Listening is a simple thing that I know how to make complex - I can switch from listening to remembering and then thinking. 
And whatever works for you - do it.