The Absolute Sound vs Pleasing Sound

I have changed my mind about this over the years. The absolute sound (closest to real live music) just can't be accomplished even though I have heard some spectacular systems that get close on some music. So years ago I changed my system to give me the sound I wanted. I'm much happier now and all my music collection can be enjoyed for what it is: Recorded music.  
128x128russ69
Picasso couldn't paint, ridiculous.
One day absolute sound might become achievable. In the mean time, I will keep moving in that direction as much as I can.
"Pleasing sound" is a totally different approach. I am not interested in it but I do understand it.
Good post, Inna,

I have zero interest in judging how anyone listens to music; and, that includes the kind of sound that they want from their sound systems. If a “personalized” sound pleases someone, so be it. However, it is obvious to me that some very high end systems sound much closer to the general sound of live music than others do. No system sounds exactly like live music and none ever will; but some get surprisingly close. It is a very worthy goal.

So, are we to simply throw in the towel and, because perfection will never be achieved, not even try to get as close as possible? Makes no sense to me. For me, a sound that approaches the sound of live is, in fact, the most enjoyable.

How do we know what is “the absolute”? How do learn to recognize it? The simple fact is that extensive experience attending live performances is the only way for most. Some may not have the time nor inclination to attend live performances, but it is an approach to the listening experience that has tremendous benefits. IMO.
"No system sounds exactly like live music and none ever will; but some get surprisingly close."

Do not forget that some (most?) of the current live music/events are also playing through the electronic system. When listening to, let’s say, rock’n’roll and trying to have it sound like a live event, you are really trying to match that electronics/venue combination.

Having said that, there has not been much live music to compare our systems with lately.
Excluding your last sentence, which will thankfully not be applicable for too much longer, what you correctly point out is the reason that unamplified acoustic performances remain the standard for judging how close our systems get to the sound of live. As I’m sure you know that was the basis for the term “the absolute sound”.
Live like sound is always what what I find most satisfying. The more live like the better. It’s why it seems no conventional speaker can ever wean me off Ohm Walsh “Omni” speakers.   Everything sounds live to some extent, not like a studio recording. 
I find conventional box speakers that feature very wide dispersion can come close. The kef ls50 metas (+ powered sub) I added recently are a good example.