If your were to assemble a vintage system ?

Let’s say you were going to put together a vintage system and your source was primarily vinyl. Your price limit is $1500. What would it be? 
Make it as musical as possible. Super detail or thunderous bass isn’t going to be very high on the list. My first thought would be a 70’s Marantz receiver (50ish wpc is more than adequate) an 80’s AR table, and any iteration of a Vandersteen 2C that didn’t bust the budget. 

Could easily also swap in a Pioneer SX750 instead of a Marantz. 
Cartridge? Not sure- might actually go with something modern/current. AT or Nagaoka 

what would you put together? 
128x128zavato
From my collection of vintage gear this is what I am listening to: Ariston RD11 TT/FR29 arm/ADC magnesium headshell/Coral Sleeping Beauty MC cartridge, RGR 4 preamp, Sumo Andromeda amp, DCM Time Windows (52779,52780), Mitsubishi DA-F10 tuner. SUT is new and custom-made. Speaker wire is Q Audio Time Stream from the 80's. CD player is a 1997 Marantz CD67. The overall SQ is competitive with any of today's five-figure systems! 
Yes, @zavato, can't do much with $1500 of today's money.

So why not assemble your system with $1500 of yesterday's.
eg for a 1970 system, £15,756 for UK inflation and today's $ conversion rate.
All of the above bought used over the past five years. Only the custom SUT was new. Best bang-for-the-buck by shopping on the secondhand market!
1. Advent 300 receiver
2. Large Advent (walnut) loudspeakers

3. Dual 510 turntable w/Micro Acoustics phono cartridge

I've got a vintage system that includes a Thorens turntable from 1985 - TD 166 mk2 mated to a Sumiko blue point #2 cartridge. But I never understood why audiophiles use the term "musical" to describe the sound of a certain hi-fi component when music is what they play over their system. I mean, doesn't it all sound "musical?"