Preamp or not.

I currently have the following setup Bluesound Node 2I, Topping D90, Pass XA25, Crites Type B speakers.
I originally had a Sunfire preamp but it failed. Then I upgraded my system last year. I tried a passive pre amp but removed it and now run the DAC direct to amp. The passive sounded fine but I ended up running it at full volume. No remote. I use the Bluesound ap to change volume. My thinking was less is better. My speakers are efficient and dynamic.

The Topping puts out 2V. Pass told me this is adequate. I am wondering what a preamp would do. How would it improve or degrade the sound? How much gain do I want from the preamp? Tube or solid state? Any other suggestions are welcome or should I just leave this alone? I don’t like buying, selling and failing. Here are some I saw that look interesting.

Pro-Ject Pre

Doge

Modwright

Van Alstine

I would like to spend 2000 or less. I don’t need Phono. Remote volume would be nice. Thank you again.

128x128daledeee1
A DHT pre would use 300B tubes. Some like DHT tubes in a pre while others do not. I have heard DHT pre amps that give the illusion of being at the performance with a spooky realism. For this reason i have ordered the Supratek DHT/6SN7 pre amp it gives the ability to use 6SN7 or you can switch to a DHT tube the best of both worlds.
Post removed 
I went w/o a preamp for a few years but added one back in (Jeff Rowland Criterion) and won't look back.  Its ALL in the midrange.  I really believe the only way to get that depth of midrange, woodsy tone on the wood winds and reeds, thick gooey gushy music coming from between the speakers is with a really good preamp.  The volume in the digital domain is incredibly difficult to do w/o compressing the sound.  When its done properly, there is really just one optimum setting and that's where you hear the awesome clean detail and low noise floor but you will notice there's no emotion in a vocal, no depth & feel to the music.  
OP here. I worked with Roy atTubes4hifi and he helped me come up with a great solution, a passive with a tube buffer.  We are using the SP12 with option for volume only and adding tubes if desired later for active.  Otherwise the passive vs active argument was going on in my mind. 
passive is nothing more than a switchbox for sources.
active is the way to go if you value dynamics.  10 db gain or so would not cause volume control fine tuning issues.