CD player reliability.... good and bad.

Since the mid late 80’s I have gone through probably 15 + CD players, some lasted me many many years, some were non working out of box, some lasted a week, some months, and as said some lasted years.
Is the shipping process causing some jolting of the unit, and innards get jolted and the tray or a small piece gets damaged? Or just the way they are made?

We take great care of our CD players, dust cover when not in use, don’t drop them, hit them, shake them.....yet they just stop working or things go bad, skipping, display goes out prematurely, tray rubs on something, or any number of issues...!! ??

BUT,....my cheap pickup truck CD player still works after 13+ years , dust, bumps, filth, exploding pops, lots of dust in my truck from my profession, dash, floor, everywhere, years of dust, caked all over, yet I put in a cd, and the darn thing still works.

But , recently it has started to act up, it plays everything I put in it, but sometimes won’t eject,...

anyway, why is it most CD players have a reliability problem. NOT all of them, but there seems to be a %10-15 of new players that arrive in non-working, or only last a short time.

Any thoughts......
128x128arcticdeth
A CD player is a much higher precision machine than your pickup truck. I haven’t had problems with CD players myself, but there’s no doubt that lasers and transport mechanisms do break down.

You can always check the warranty before buying. If it’s 90 days, the player is probably not built for the long haul. Bryston has a reputation for being built like a tank and offers a 5 year warranty. Bryston is also known for good customer service before and after the warranty expires.
why is it most CD players have a reliability problem. NOT all of them, but there seems to be a %10-15 of new players that arrive in non-working, or only last a short time.
Look, they are CD players. Everyone knows they are disposable, including most of all the manufacturers. If they last out the 90 days warranty, great, another 90 and they are obsolete, so if they die right out of the box, no big. We just send another POC to replace it. Not like a turntable, where you expect a good 30 years after which it is worth more than you paid for it.

Once you understand the market forces it all makes perfect sense.
Post removed