Subwoofer Recommendations

I am looking for a single subwoofer that will compliment my JBL L100 Classic speakers.  This is my office system and I only want 1 subwoofer (no swarm) to add a little oomph below 50hz.  I will be using it with my McIntosh MA6600 on the second set of variable line outs.  The sub has to accept line in, have a phase control, level control  and adjustable crossover so I can cross it over under 80hz or so.  I will be still running my JBL speakers full range.  Price is up to $1500.00 new or used although keeping it at around a grand would be great.  This is the only way I will hook up the sub and I would like something that does go deep.  I know there are probably hundreds of subwoofer threads but I have never looked at them.  This is just something I came up with today so any help would be appreciated.
128x128stereo5
You need 2 subs to integrate the sound.  I use REL and am super happy with them.  They compliment my main speakers.  Other brands mentioned here are good as well.
@chilli42,

I am starting with one sub and if I feel it isn’t enough, I will get another.   
@stereo 

I am starting with one sub and if I feel it isn’t enough, I will get another.  
Couple of things, I also just got an SB2000 pro
reason being its small, app 14" x 14" and a 12" driver with good response.

I run a distributed base setup 3 subs in a well treated room for 
music only, got tired of rebuilding the failure prone plate amps
so pu a new SB 2000 pro, good specs and it works very well.
The app negates the need for a flashlight and looking at things upside down so a plus.

Regarding 1 sub in a room well it depends on the room as to
just how things will work out and naturally your expectations.

I think I'm now a the point in my room where the bass is tight
balanced without much in the way of room modes.

I should add that even in my treated room I use a very simple DSP sub program to decrease inevitable room mode peaks
and that did the trick. 

Good luck 

SVS is the best audio company I've ever dealt with, bar none. As I've said elsewhere, when one of my 1000s went on the blink after five years of service, SVS replaced the electronics for $35 shipping. The sub was up and running 20 minutes after the replacement guts arrived. Great company.
maxwave KEF  KC62
Small footprint which is fine in an office.
Can be placed along the wall
( I ordered one )
Maxwave, the KEF KC62 is an interesting subwoofer system. The design and manufacturing is stunningly innovative and its equipped with what appears to be some unusual but said to be useful settings options.
The word is it plays much larger than its size.

When you've settled in I hope you'll share your sub history and your thoughts.
All the best.