Equal $$ for Phono OR Streaming?

Consider the following situation. A friend who's watched me put together my system has decided to follow suit. He's inherited some very good speakers and amplification (no DAC) from a relative and has about wants to finish out the main elements of the system with the best possible source. He has about $4-6k to spend and wishes to spend it on either a phono stage/TT combo OR a DAC/streamer combo. (For content, he is willing to spend either on vinyl or streaming services to fulfill whichever path he chooses above.)

Focusing simply on the potential for sonic quality (rather than, say, the variety of music one can stream), where do you think his money would best be spent and why? Could he reach the same outcomes after spending on a TT, cartridge, phono stage, record cleaner, isolation table and all the other accoutrements necessary for a good phono set up as he could if he bought a good DAC, streamer, etc.?

If your tastes weigh so heavily toward analog or digital that you can simply decide this without considering the details of the comparison, please try to set those aside and answer based on what he might be able to get for $4-6k.

128x128hilde45
As someone who streams, plays CDs and LPs (I also have a cassette deck but don't use it much), I have periods where I listen to each exclusively for a while and then switch to the other when the mood strikes.  Agree with the idea that your friend can do both, and both formats have their converts, but I would also agree that if he's not into analog right now there's no sense in spending all of that on vinyl gear, because it's definitely more labor intensive and tweak-centric than a DAC and streamer are, and you can easily blow through $6k on a turntable/preamp/cartridge/cables with little effort and feel like you didn't get the very best you could.  No one here can say which format your friend will prefer, but having $4-$6k to spend between the two is an awesome amount.  I find streaming very convenient as I can bring up my old favorites and endlessly sample new music (as well as listening to internet radio from stations all over the globe), but there's something very familiar about spinning a record when I'm in the mood, and it has nothing to do with sound quality.
Sounds like your buddy is just starting out as he has no vinyl or CDs.

Streaming done right can sound excellent.  So, my vote goes to a
Bryston BDA-3.14  Streamer DAC.  List is about $4k.
The Bryston will play PCM up to 384K as well as DSD4.  
Stereophile Class A DAC (same DAC as BDA-3).

Add some cables and power cords and you're rollin'.

As others have said its a personal choice he has to make.

Regards,
barts 
@ hilde45I've been watching this thread with some amusement. Being in software for almost 40 years (Cripes I'm old!) I can tell you that unless one has complete requirements, including details on what the current environment is, ANY solution will be less than optimal. Audio is no different IMHO... People, as usual, are making all sorts of specific favored equipment referrals not knowing what amp and speakers your friend has! (I looked, did I miss that somewhere?) So I will necessarily speak in general terms.
Unless your friend has inherited some over the top equipment, I would think that for $4-6Kilobucks they could actually get BOTH a nice analog and digital front end. Some folks HAVE been asking the right questions: Would he go in for the gestalt that is vinyl? Would he want to collect LPs and fiddle about with a turntable? Or do you think he'd prefer the convenience and flexibility of a digital source? Or does he only want to do one type?
One thing is certain that the $4-6K budget would seem to be quite fortunate for your friend. The trick would be to maximize it to make the right choices.
Happy listening.

I don’t stream, I play CDs via a Mojo Audio EVO DAC and SimAudio 260D CD Transport in my main system, and a Modwright Elyse DAC and Cambridge Audio CXC Transport in my second system ; also use an IPOD Classic with WAV files via a Wadia 171i Transport in both . The narrative that you can’t sit back and be engaged in the music if it is digital sourced is just an opinion that some have, nothing more. Do I like vinyl , yes I have a phono preamp and ClearAudio rig which sit idle; the problem for me is the lack of available vinyl for the music genre and artists that I listen to mostly. That said, I’m not missing the enjoyment of the music , my digital gear doesn’t come up short.Your friend’s musical enjoyment will not be compromised if he chooses a digital format and good equipment; it isn’t simply there for background music
Lots more good replies. Thank you. Many here want to help him with the decision, overall, but because he's indicated a willingness to go in either direction (knowing full well what that implies) the core question -- about the sonic quality achievable with *either* $4-6k for streaming/dac vs. phono -- really is *the* question. And yes, other "requirements" are helpful to know, but it does not seem like the core question is unanswerable without the bigger picture, and many here seem to agree.