Upgrading phono stage

Hello all,

I have a modest system that I have been adding and changing in small increments. I am using a Rogue Audio Sphinx V2. I love the sound of this integrated especially for the money. I am wondering how much I have to spend on a seperate phono stage to get a marked improvement from the built in. I have read that many think the built in phono stage for the Sphinx is quite good. I have zero experience with outboard phono stages. The prices are all over the place and I would like to spend under a $1000 but if that is not enough to make a big change then I will wait and go bigger in the future. I am using a Ortofon 2M Blue at the moment.

Thank you
cpdkee
@cpdkee, I think at this point you would be better served upgrading your cartridge and maybe turntable. The Rogue is not bad a all. I would save the jump to an outboard phono stage until you are ready to make the jump to separates. For you right now it is all about speakers and turntable systems. Get yourself a Hi Fi account/cookie jar and throw a little in there monthly until you get a sum large enough to make a significant leap. Window shop. What is your ideal system? Know the end game and head in that direction.  Looking back I think I wasted a lot of money going sideways. I certainly wasted a lot of money getting things I was not going to like in the end. My biggest mistake was Apogee Divas. That one cost me $7000 and I wound up with the exact same speakers I had before, Acoustat 2+2s which I still have to this day 30 years later. I am finally getting a new set just now to the tune of $30,000 and It took me that long to save for them. Children put a big dent in my Hi Fi savings.
@mijostyn I appreciate the feedback. I have been wavering between going to a 2M Bronze or a Nagaoka MP 200. The soundsmith Othello ES is of interest too. I wasn't sure if I will get more bang for my buck with a cartridge or phono stage. Right now I don't have a dedicated room for listening. Due to space and practicality seperates are not an option right now. I could actually do a cartridge and phone stage if it comes in under $2500. Any opinions on those cartridges or any other suggested ones?
"The soundsmith Othello ES is of interest too."

cpdkee-
I am using the SS Otello as a backup for my "proper" $1K+ cart. Good bang for the buck. Phono stage is critical to hear what the fuss is all about. 

Spend as much as you can tolerate on the phono stage. It the piece that's going to stay in the system as you find a cart that suits your ears.

$1K+ new for a keeper. Find something used for half. Check out the Audio Technica or Hana lineup for a good value LOMC also.
Comparing iPhono 2 to JLTi mk4 in my system I ended up using JLTi. 
But it depends what exactly would you like to upgrade?