Need speaker advice

Hej

I'm looking for a new pair of speakers. The reason for this is that I find my Tannoy Legacy Eaton a little too difficult to drive for my 2x12w Audion Audio Sterling. I also feel that the Tannoys are a little too relaxed and a little rolled off.

One problem with brands like Tekton and nsmt is that I live in Sweden and I do not have the opportunity to listen to them (which I assume is the same problem in the US) and to send them back if I don't like them is not financially defensible. To take a chance on one of these brands I really have to be sure that they are what I’m looking for. I don’t think this will happend.

I heard Klipsch Heresey III which I didn't like. To my taste, they were too much on my face and too harsh. Could have been the room and/or the amplifier and/or ...?

I listen to all kinds of music, from progressive rock to classical music.
My listening position is 6.6 feet from the speakers.
My budget is aprox $ 7,200.

Any suggestions?

simna
Can your amp be used as Mono Blocks? Get another, thus keep your preferred sound, double your power?

That will put you in a position to consider a wider range of speaker efficiencies, now and any future changes.

I would not want to be that close to physically large speakers. Smaller enclosures puts you in a situation: the small speakers that make the ’best’ (not most) bass tend to be less efficient.

That means perhaps you need excellent efficient satellites and one or two self-powered subs. That’s not always easy.

I have done that very successfully in my office with Vintage B&W bookshelf speakers, one self-powered sub for general extension. Similar spacing: speakers 5’ apart, I’m 5 ft back, my ears diagonally 6’ away. Sub volume adjusted to give extension without awareness, unless I turn it off. If main system, I would go for a pair of smaller subs located near the satellites for bass localization.

Preamp to self-powered sub, sub sends only upper bass, mids, highs to amp, thus both amp and satellites do not try/need to make low bass. That means a lower powered amp like yours will not need to produce low bass.

I’m not a fan of ports which are often used to get ’extra’ bass. If so, front firing ports only

As for low volume, especially if listening to music with distinctive bass players, i.e. Jazz, Pop, Rock Groups with great bass players: I highly recommend having a ’Loudness’ option (fletcher munson) to bring the bass up to an equal volume as you would hear at louder volumes. This is even more important for speakers that make decent, but not low bass. And even a nice sub, when balanced for normal volume, will need a boost at low volume to maintain distinction, involvement, and localization if imaging had been nicely recorded.

’Loudness’ filters, when set up properly (often not), are out of play at normal volumes, and begin a progressive proportional boost as volume decreases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Use of tone controls at casual low volumes, can maintain involvement, but much current equipment lacks tone controls.

I use a Chase RLC-1 Remote Line Controller to give remote control of volume, balance, and it has an automatic fletcher-munson circuit as it enters low volume. It also has tone controls if desired.

this is an old listing, but it shows it well. S/N 120db. None of my golden eared friends can tell if it is in or not in the system, it just does it’s job.

1 main system; 1 office system; 1 spare.

https://reverb.com/item/12411621-chase-rlc-1-remote-line-controller

Hello,
I second MC’s decision. The sensitivity rating is like 94db. This would be perfect for you. If you don’t think so later on you can sell them after they go up in price and get 90% of the money back. The only other alternative is Klipsch book shelf with the right sub. The sub will add the bloom and weight while the Klipsch are high sensitivity. If you are worried about the Tekton speakers ask what the most popular color is and order it so it is more marketable later on. FYI red is going to be very popular but you might want to go with black. Red is good luck to some cultures. Don’t sell the tannoy speakers until you are sure. Tekton is perfect for you. 
"Get rid of your amplifier pronto!!!"
Why wound simna do that? He’s posted for the 3rd time how much he enjoys the Audion Audio Sterling SEP el34 12 watt amplifier. He stated
above he’s tried numerous amplifiers with his Tannoys. He has decided he rather keep the amplifier he prefers most. So it is very reasonable for him to seek speakers that are a better match for the Audion amplifier.

By all accounts it’s an excellent sounding amplifier. So his actions make plenty of sense. He has received some teriffic Europe based brands recommendations such as Cube Audio, Living Voice, Audio Note, and others. I’d definitely consider the Trenner -Friedl RA Box or Pharoah used. These two work very well with SET/SEP amplifiers. 
Charles

@mijostyn
Fortunatly, some of the stuff I had myself, other I have borrowed, so it’s the time it cost me. But I have learned things along the way :)

@audioguy85

”Get rid of your amp Pronto!!!”. Hmm… thats a little drastic, don’t you think? In fact there are speakers at 93-96 dB sensivity withoiut being horn loaded. Not many in Sweden, but still…
I have tried different settings with the Treble Energy and the Treble Roll Off screws.
But yes, they are a little bit laid back and rolled off. I have compared with ATC SCM 19 v2. Both speakers driven with Moonriver 404.

@elliottbnewcombjr

Maybe I can use the power amp as a mono block. I haven’t thought about that. But then comes two new problems; dubble sets of tubes and space. Problems, problems, problems ;)
I’m actually using a REL sub which I crank up just a little bit more when listening at low volumes.

@hshifi

Yes, I’m tempted when it comes to Tekton. But the one I’m looking at is The Perfect Set. One thing is for sure; they are not good looking. After all, you will be sitting there and staring at them all the time. Ough

@charles1dad

Exactly, the Audion Audio stays. And those brands you are mentioning are amongst the ones (+ Tekton) I plan to check out.