Your system struck by lightning? What did you learn?

I'm really curious to learn from anyone who has suffered a lightning strike.  Did you use surge suppression? What survived? What did not? Were your neighbors worse or better off?

Anyone pay for the electrical service's monthly surge suppression in the meter?
erik_squires
I live in California ( bay area) and we don't see much lightning or thunder storms, we just have undependable power from PG&E , like you can be listening to your turntable while a little drop of rain starts to fall and your speed of your turntable will sloooow down, then you indicators on your amp will start to flicker, then the lights will go out !!! now you are sitting in the DARK, then in a flash the lights will come on, then off!!! then on !!! then off!!!! now you call the outage HOTLINE and they tell you, they are aware of the outage and power will return in 8 hours!!! and don't have a class A power amp!!! your power bill will be $ 500.00 to 1k at the end of the month!!!!! Because PG&E decide to install what they call a SMART METER now this meter calculates the kilo wattage DOWN TO THE PENNY!!!!! and when they installed this meter, they LAID OFF the meter maid. now they can read your meter from their service truck on the street, they don't need to get access to your yard!!! and the real reason they installed this meter was because the share holders was losing money from the utility company with the old dial meters and it was not wireless.
now get this PG&E COMBINE'S THE GAS BILL WITH THE ELECTRIC BILL, So we beat the power company with this and now they are mad, when we get ready to go to work, we pull the main breaker at the service box, and leave it off until we come home, now your refrigerator stays cold for three days so no spoiled food here, why power the WHOLE house when no one is home, my bill $32.00 for a month down from $357.00, now when i get home at night I power up to take a shower, power off when i go to sleep== more money to buy more audio. this is how you stick it to the rich SHARE HOLDERS. NO MORE BROWN OUTS!!!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY
I had a lightening storm take out a Vandersteen amp...Repaired at surprising minimal cost, after which I installed a whole house surge protector. No problems after the installation
I live in Central Florida so lightening is a big deal.  There are roof protection systems (lightening rods) that guard against a direct strike to the house.  These run about $2500.  

There are also electrical panel protection systems that guard against surges from hits to the ground or hits to the main wiring miles away.  These run about $500-$1000.

To get protection that is 99% effective, you need both systems in conjunction with plug in wall surge protectors.  Leave any of these out and your protection drops.  And yes, cable, phone and inground sprinkler systems are weak points and require their own protection.

Realistically, you can do all of the above or none of the above and just leave your system unplugged except for when in use.

I have a lightening app on my phone that warns me of lightening within 10 miles (essential for when you are on the golf course) which helps me to decide when to unplug (the only real guarantee of safety).  I unplug if I'm going out of town and if there is a bad storm.  And most importantly, I have good homeowners insurance.

The Florida power companies definitely suggest a panel surge protection system along with wall suppression as a minimum.

I have had neighbors experience both direct and indirect hits with damage ranging from a lot to a little.  None had protection before the hit, all added protection after the hit.

So far, I've been spared.

There are also electrical panel protection systems that guard against surges from hits to the ground or hits to the main wiring miles away. These run about $500-$1000.

These can be a little cheaper. The Seimens BoltShield I just purchased was $150 and was plug and play for my panel. GE and Square D make even less expensive units. The problem with unplugging systems when not in use is that assumes you know when something bad will happen. We often do not, so I do go with the dual protection route, and if things get really dicey then I do unplug them because I’m squeamish.

Don’t forget to put a properly grounded surge protector on any coaxial cables that enter the home. A surge there can infiltrate your electronics and wreak havoc.