My system is ... well, not ready

Hi Everyone,

A lot of you have been asking me to look at my system, and it’s been an absolute mess in this apartment. However!! I am moving, and I have posted the new living/listening room up in the Systems part of Audiogon. I’m 3 weeks from occupying that space, so please be patient as it will take a while to clutter it up with electronics. :)

Right now the plan is to put the TV in the bay window. It only looks at the neighbors, so I don’t mind giving it up, flanked by GIK acoustics soffit traps and standalone panels, as well as adding curtains in all the windows and doors and ceiling mounted panels.

The room is about 13' by 17' and I'll be taking lots of measurements as I go along. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
I wouldn't quite call it a catastrophe!

I'm quite fortunate in many regards here.  It just has a number of issues which need to be prioritized, and with this being a very wet state, I need to take care of everything related to water infiltration ASAP.

I still got a good enough bargain in this house that this is all worthwhile.  Fortunately I know a little bit about electricity and screws to do some of it on my own. 
BTW, I have updated my virtual system to include the latest recommendations from GIK.
@erik_squires 

Well, glad to hear it is NOT a catastrophe! Again, hope you get beyond this quickly.
Before buying this house I got really excited that most of the rooms had 2 Ethernet jacks. Fabulous! No more dropped streaming signals! No more competing with Wifi with the neighbors! I was ready for 1 GigE to all my Roku streaming devices!

Well, not so fast...

Turns out the data panel in the closet is a straight pass through with no jacks.  That is, it's a set of eight punch down terminals, all wired to each other.  That means I can't use more than 2 devices at a time in the whole house. 

OK, replaced the data panel with an 8 gang punch down to female RJ45. 

Now I can use an Ethernet switch and light them all up with independent data paths, but wait!  The wiring at the wall is all wrong, so I get to punch those down again.  Sigh.
3 1/2 hours later and I have 3 ports in the house enabled.  Only took a punch down tool and Ethernet test kit.