Is the Cary SLP-05 still relavant?

Given the history and reviews of this preamp with its ability for tube rolling and its "Ultimate" upgradeability, Where does it stand as a premium offering vs something like the PS Audio BHK? Is it still relevant? It still gets sporadic press, but has fallen out from Stereophile recommended equipment list.
cvman
Hi all,
i just got a new slp-05 for to audition. After a few hours of break in it sounds very pleasing so far. I am running balanced and the high gain does limit me to about 35% on the volume knob for reasonable listening levels. Does this result in any issues I am missing, In other words, why is high preamp gain an issue if you just have the pot set at 30% instead of say 60 % with an amp that has adjustable gain? I am driving a pass X250.8.
@jmbumgarner01, I run a slp 05 into a pair of xa60.8 and have the same issue.  A quick note to Pass Labs and they suggested a pair of Rothwell 10db balanced attenuators into the amp’s inputs.  Problem solved, plus it lowered the noise floor with no signal degradation whatsoever.  Reno HiFi also recommended the Rothwells.  
Excellent test pilot thanks. So is running the slp-05 volume pot between 20-35% not ideal and result in additional noise or degradation etc? 
The combo is sounding pretty great so far although from startupmy voltage meter has been showing 250 not 210 and current is 68 not 60, I emailed Cary today on that.
I think that I answered that by looking into the rockwell’s.. gives a much better range of volume control not such large steps. I will try to track some down here without paying excessive shipping from uk. Thanks again.
Despite being forced out years ago the Dennis Had designs are still the class of the Carey line of electronics.