Craigslist Fraud

Just thought I'd share my recent experience with attempting to sell some audio equipment on Craigslist.  Attempted to sell a Audio Research Ref 3LE.  I know now that doing so via Craigslist was probably stupid.  Anyway, I had a guy from out of state reach out to me.  Said that he wanted to buy it.  Asked that he send a cashiers check.  A couple days later the FedEx arrives with a check for $12K more than what I was asking...  The alarm bells went off.  Check was from a business in Chicago and the FedEx was from Florida.  They did a very convincing job of making up the check.  Reported it to the police - so I could feel better.  They let me know that the scammers would probably have come back and asked that I send part of the money back to them.. as if.  Rang the company that the check was reported to have come from (The Belt Railway Company of Chicago).  They said that I was the 6th person in the last week that rang them.  Wanted to put this out for y'all and hope that no one goes through this like I did.  Very thankful that it only cost me time, frustration and some dents to my ego.  
128x128thelostdutchman
Depending on what you are selling, many will think "I'm willing to bet he has more gear at his house" They will have another party follow you home from the public parking lot sale. This has happened a couple of times locally.

The other one is people have their mail held at the USPS when they go on vacation. Postal workers give the info to people who break into the homes. 

I really appreciate all the responses and suggestions.  I'm so thankful that the only things I lost in this learning moment, was time and pride.  

Going to list both pieces on Audiogon this weekend.  The hassle of dealing with the fraudsters and wheel kicking/time wasters off Craigslist is just not worth the amount of cash I save avoiding transaction fees.  

if i am buying or selling on cl  i  insist transaction be done thru ebay if shipping is involved....has protected  me from scams....otherwise in person must  pickup and cash....
I had exactly the same thing happen to me selling a Porsche on Autotrader. It is impossible for these web sites to screen everything. Scammers keep coming up with new ideas. You you did a great job picking up on it. When dealing with people you do not know always do so with distrust until you get to know them. It is one of the reasons I hardly ever ship. Local pick up only. If someone really wants something they can come and pick it up. People who are going to meet you face to face are much less likely to scam you. The young man that just bought my old Sota handed me a wad of cash. I never asked for cash only. It was understood.
I agree with the other folks here.  I've dealt on Craigslist quite a lot.  The key is to keep it simple. Cash is best. If you must accept a check, money order, etc. wait until it clears before releasing the merchandise, simple.  I've been asked on CL and eBay, "Will you accept a check?"  I tell them, "I'll accept a dirty napkin, WHEN IT CLEARS, I send the item".  They often then disappear.