JBL 4349 or Klipsch Cornwall IV

I need some input on these speakers, I will be able to try 4349 in my home in some time but Cornwall IV is difficult to audition, no dealers nearby. Any input is highly appreciated.

I listen to rock, metal, classical music, jazz, americana and occasionally some country. I have Mark Levinson pre and power (power is not an issue with the JBLs although I might have to change amp for the Cornwalls). My room is roughly 16x18 with a 10 feet ceiling.

I have listened to JBL L100 and while I enjoyed them with classical, jazz and metal, I did not find them to be very good for rock. The treble was slightly harsh and since the loudspeaker did not sound very open or engaging at lower volumes, the treble became very noticeable when the volume was dialled up. But like I said, they brought life to classical and jazz, that’s why I’m now looking at 4349 or maybe Cornwall IVs which have gotten some very nice reviews.

johnek
I’ve seen the 4429 (I assume you refer to these)  but  never heard them. I guess what attracted me to 4349 is (on paper at least)  better bass extension. They do work great with my gear and placement seems non-critical. There are however three issues with their performance so far, two are easy to live with but the third may be an issue. 

4349 do not have the same ‘live’ sound that the L100 had, but on the other hand they are much more balanced and do a better job with many recordings. 

4349 do not have the bass (so far at least) that can be felt

Like with  the L100, I do feel fatigue after a while. Not as bad as with the L100 and 4349 are much better at lower volume levels. Still, I do want to me able to listen at all volume levels without fatigue. 

Not sure if Cornwall IVs are better, some say their treble is brighter than JBLs. Maybe I need to try a tube pre-amp or perhaps find a pre-amp with tone controls?

I heard Cornwall with a few tube amps, most memorable of them Luxman MQ-300 with only 8W per channel, but I doubt I even used 1 watt, as Cornwall’s sensitivity is 102db, which means at 1 watt you’re at 102db, which is quite loud. Cornwall excels at low volume and near field listening as well as super high volumes if desired. You can achieve rock concert levels ~108-111db with only 4-8watts. They’re very easy to drive and you can have fun with all types of low power tube amps, especially SETs.

If you go for Cornwalls I suggest a Luxman tube integrated, LX-380 and you’ll be in heaven. This amp has it all, 18W per channel tubes, beautiful dac, solid phono stage and looks superb and quite fitting for Cornwalls. The only downfall is that it is not made in America. You will never look back after you hear this combo.
If you cant listen to your system for extended periods of time without fatigue then you should look for a different speaker. Not a Klipsch or JBL fan, but my guess is that you could look to modifications on the tweeter with the Klipsch. Have also heard that you can do alot with modifications on the Klipsch crossover. To my ears the JBLs get nothing right, but my exposure has been limited to the older models.
Current klipsch speakers need make no apologies and need no tweeter mods. Listen for yourself and you'll see.

Oz

I own the JBL L100. Used to own Cornwall 2’s and Cornscalla B version and Klipsch Forte 3’s. I have not heard the Cornwall 4’s yet. I’m sure I would love them though. My only reservation is that they are very big speakers. The JBL’s (in my room) sing. I can play them crazy loud with no ear fatigue at all. Excellent soundstage and imaging too. They sound good with tubes and solid state. You might try playing with positioning if you listen to them again. They are one of the best speaker purchases I have ever made.