The Tragic Decline of Music Literacy (and Quality)

128x128sejodiren
Great ‘

I remember listening to a lot of rock, 60’s - 80’s.

Singers sang had harmony, people played instruments,

now, it’s all computer tripe, auto tune, singers do not sing anymore.

Dio, Delp, Marriott, and tons of others.

I miss actual music bands, not these lip syncing, cd play music, for the fans. Cant stand it
Culture is driven toward the top or toward the bottom....If money drive culture guess where it will go?

An example: how for a century Hollywood was never able to tell a story about the most extraordinary visual show there is on par with Chinese emperors history, and an essential piece to understand occidental history, the one thousand years story of the Byzantine empire? No Ben-Hur is NOT about Byzantium and dont count at all....Nor crusades film which are mostly about Europeans going against Islam...It is very instructive that crusaders films never speak of the remnants of Byzantium either... They go acting like Byzantium empire never exist at all... 😁 Hollywood was and is propaganda masquarading in art....Chomsky wrote about that...Where is Chomsky in american TV?  the most influential linguist is unknown in america and he is also one of the most interesting historian of the American empire...Nowhere to be seen.... 

Not a single movie about Byzantium  i can remind of.... is it not extraordinary? An ignorance so deep?

The first comic book i read young at 6 years old was a comic book about Trebizonde and Byzantium but it was written in french.... It alert me immediately....Ay 6 years old.... I take greek course and latin for years that was helping for sure...I only learn to read but that serve me for life and it was later my job main point....It is another story. 😊

How can you distinguish head and tail in your life in north-america with a so abyssal ignorance?

How can a democracy can ever exist? For sure appearance of democracy is important but it is not a really working democracy...Anyway no empire can be a democracy sorry....

History is the only tool box of critical thinking , there is NO other...

Then so go with music what has begins long ago with the forgotting of history....Music is sounds selling industry....I am almost unable to listen to 95 % of what is made commercially or popular in the last 30 years...Classic, jazz, Indian and Persian music and a bit from others cultures made my night and day...

«Music is the only way to touch the soul with your hand....»-Anonymus Smith

«Music is history whistling in the ears or only ears buzzing»-Anonymus Smith
I have always had music in our home.

As a former musician right into my 30’s I taught my children an appreciation for all types of music.

All 3 of my children played in middle school, high school and at University. 2 were offered music scholarships as well as academic. They both chose academic scholarships studying Chemical Engineering and one is studying Language and has a job teaching English in Japan.
I think it starts in the home, and if the child has an interest they will pursue music in school. My oldest son played in the OSU ( Oklahoma State) Jazz Band, the Percussion Ensemble and in a Jazz Ensemble. He’s has had the pleasure of sitting in on a session with Snarky Puppy at UNT.

But the one thing I can not keep my kids from is the peer pressure of listening and liking RAP.

I did manage to teach them an appreciation for Hockey and Moto GP.