Does it annoy you when companies don't show the internals of electronics ?

I noticed that merrill audio and mcintosh general don't show all the internals of their electronics. A friend of mine actually asked merrill to see pics of the internals of their amps and pres. The remark from merrill... 'people listen to how they sound they don't look at whats inside.'

But why hide it? Are they trying to protect some secrets of their tech? Might as well just show it... if you have dones something truly exceptional people will appreciate that and its going to be that easy to rip off.
smodtactical
Let me be clear. I am not suggesting something that is not visually appealing or seems wrong from an engineering standpoint will sound bad (ie. wells audio internals that look like a train smashed into a pile of IEDs). But sometimes I think part of the joy of ownership is knowing whats inside your electronics and see the great care that was put into the design of the devices.
I always had that issue with Merrill and a few others, and particularly when companies were putting the same NC1200 modules in their amps yet passing them off as being significantly different from each other.  There just wasn’t that much that could be done short of a linear power supply like Theta did. Some had different input boards but in the end  it seems they all had the same basic NC1200 sound.
In this industry, where measurements don’t necessarily tell the whole story, there is a lot of hype and scientific innuendo used to market and sell products.  I certainly respect ingenuity and uniqueness of design, but if I am going to pay the price of a car for a piece of audio gear, I want to know and see what is inside.  Not everyone shares that opinion and that is fine with me (and with Merrill).

smodtactical OP Does it annoy you when companies don’t show the internals of electronics ?

Yes, they eventually get shown, what you don’t want is some thing like this, a very expensive two box tube preamp that many here on Audiogon rave about, because outside it's looks like a "glitzer's dream"
I say how could it sound good or consistent, as each one would sound different to the next because of the rats-nest wiring, and the yellow coupling caps flapping around in the wind, not to mention the dangerous way some HV power supply capacitors are mounted just with silicon gel, and power resistors hanging in air
https://ibb.co/q7MtPVz
https://ibb.co/K9cnNkX

Cheers George