Speakers and system for compressed recordings?

I started this crazy hobby hoping to improve the sound of my stereo. After ten years of throwing money into the wind I finally come to a realization. Okay I am a little slow, but damn it if only good recordings sound listenable on my system. Is there a way to make compressed vintage rock recordings sound good? Do you need a separate system or can you do a combo compromise?
bigwavedave
Remember playing a Van Halen disc and frantically checking if something was broken. Solution was keeping that disc in the car.
FWIW, I find that I enjoy music from a certain period more when reproduced on a system relevant to that period,when possible. Aerosmith and Black Sabbath never sound better to me than when cranked through Altecs' ,JBL, or large Advents. Motown sounds incredible on an AM transistor radio. Same thing for 78's- just better to my ears thru a Victrola or mono tube set-up. For my money more resolution is not always better. The original engineer on Pink Floyd's Dark side stated that he and Alan Parsons argued vociferously about how much compression was to be used. Parsons won. IMO FM radio is the worst offender these days-adding compression to already over-compressed recordings. The power meters on my receiver barely even move on most broadcast music.
"Motown sounds incredible on an AM transistor radio.'

Gotta disagree on that one. Motown never sounded better than remastered and on a good modern rig.
Mapman, try again, with platforms and bell bottoms, the out-dated love beads and big medallion necklace. Live it again, man. HA
Gee, I remember the only thing that sounded good via transistor radio was the rare morning report of local school closing on snow days!!!!