TUBE BIAS, socket to me!

BIAS: (I'm starting from zero understanding) 

I have never measured/adjusted bias in the 3 tube amps, 3 tube receivers, and 2 tube preamps I have acquired over 47 years. I just switched my current Cayin from 6550's to KT88's. Adjust bias? Adjusters inside, scary electrocution warnings. I could pay someone else to do it, i.e. Steve at VAS 1 hr away in NJ, soooo, 

What really counts? (personally I don't care about either heat or life, but would like to understand)

Heat?
Life?
Output stays Matched when adjusted?
Acoustic Performance?
_________?

Over the years, fronts off, bottoms off, I hose em down with contact cleaner/lubricant, compressed air, all controls and switchers, any adjusters, swish full spin back and forth. Kill any spiders, look for, replace the rare burnt resistor. 
Then leave any adjusters (whatever they are) in the middle position, button it back up.

Two tube testers, my big hickock always agrees with small portable one, test strength, shorts, matched strength old and newly purchased. Large collection of NOS, used. Often used test essentially same strength as new ones.

When they go, it's usually a short.
elliottbnewcombjr
Now your talking electrocution precautions? Come on.... it can’t be worth it.

i guess as a physics lab hobby, its OK- I’d rather listen to music than play in the lab with tubes. 
I had physics lab in college 40 years ago. No desire to go back there.
@elliottbnewcombjr Before the owning my VTL 450's I had VTL 300 Deluxe mono blocks and they were not Auto Biasing so I feel your pain!
Soko, Read what I wrote.  Elliot's Cayin amplifier is the only tube amplifier I ever heard of where the manufacturer actually invites the user to enter inside the chassis, under any circumstances, let alone when powered up.  All other (US-made) tube amplifiers I know about will usually carry a warning NOT to open the chassis, ever.  Usually the warranty is voided if one does that.  Typical tube amplifiers can be re-biased externally with no risk, or not at all if they incorporate an autobias circuit.  Got that?
It so happens I am a DIYer, so I often do work on my amplifiers and preamplifiers, usually for fun and to satisfy my interest in electronics.  But I didn't even try to do that until I had a solid knowledge base, in part to keep me safe.

Gotcha @lewm. So what user involvement would be involved with normal routine maintenance/upkeep of tube equipment of 2000 vintage or later? Testing, rolling, cleaning, biasing, replacing, etc.

For analogue, I have to get a new stylus (or cartridge) every 2-2500 hours of use.Maybe change a belt after 10 years. I’m not aware of direct drive tables needing anything.

vegasears
1,073 posts
01-10-2021 2:01pm

not Auto Biasing so I feel your pain!

Not feeling pain is what this is all about!!!