DAC Choices - $5,000 to $7,000

What are the current top DAC choices in the approximately $5-$7K price range (new or used) that I should look at as possible upgrades to my current Metrum Adagio?  Having an on-board volume control is not a factor as I can operate my system either way.   If I wanted to spend more I would look at Totaldac, Rockna Wavedream Signature, or one of the other top-end contenders, but I selected the price range to achieve a sound quality that is consistent with the rest of my system and because I don't want to spend more due to the still evolving nature of digital technology.  I do like the more natural sound (to my ears) of NOS R2R DACs.  So far, I have considered the three below, but none seem to be a slam-dunk upgrade from the Adagio, which still sounds pretty good in my system.  The decision is complicated by having to "buy to try" so that I can hear one in my system.  Maybe now is not the time for an upgrade.  Any thoughts?

• Denafrips Terminator w/DSP board - Reportedly has the full body/dense tone type of sound I like, but also has a high'ish output impedance 
  • Holo May KTE - Reportedly measures great for an R2R DAC and has strong reviews 
  • Rockna Wavelight - Some reviewers like it but others put it in the middle of the pack for the price
mitch2
Sorry I'm not sure about the application to clock signals. Steve @ empirical audio would know though and would probably respond quickly if you emailed or PMd him. Can't quite remember his agon user name unfortunately...
PS Audio DirectStream was declared equal to the Dave. Both slightly different

PS audio Direct Stream they release software updates that keep your equipment current and up to date

I’ve owned the DSSr. for just over a year with Windom installed. I’ve done a head to head comparison betwen it and the Denafrips Terminator. I’ve also listened to the Holo May DAC Kitsune Edition on another friends system that’s better than mine. My vote will always always go to the non Resistor to Resistor Ladder DAC DSSr. Why, because they all sound the same except on certain music tracks, the FPGA based/Transformer Coupled Outputs of the DSSr. always seems to edge out the old school R2R’s. But they do keep up and give the venerable (6 years now) DSSr. quite the run for it’s money and it’s made here in the U.S. You can always find them used for around $3k.
@rajugsw I'm not trying to invalidate anything you've said, but I've had the Directstream (and May, and a number of other dacs) in my system and they've all sounded quite different.

Not sure why, but the DSDsr just didn't work for me. I actually tried it twice over the years and resold both times. Just something about it and my ears I guess. 

As always, every review is so incredibly biased by the associated ears and equipment. Always a good lesson to remember. Obviously you and many others find the PS Audio dac superlative. My only take away is that we all hear different and everyone is "right."
Thaluza, do you know what capacitors will be upgradable in the future? The Mojo site states that the output is direct-coupled, which eliminates output coupling caps. Diode snubbers might be considered an upgrade. However, I would like to see more companies implement film decoupling caps for ’lytics into circuit boards. CuTF is my favorite electrolytic bypass cap. This upgrade is easy to implement in point to point wiring. It's possible to do on PCBs if they're elevated enough or if you use small/thin caps and solder them under the board.