Your system struck by lightning? What did you learn?

I'm really curious to learn from anyone who has suffered a lightning strike.  Did you use surge suppression? What survived? What did not? Were your neighbors worse or better off?

Anyone pay for the electrical service's monthly surge suppression in the meter?
erik_squires
Wasn't struck by lightning, but a raccoon shorted out the incoming power to 220 volts.  The lights flickered and I immediately ran to shut off the house's main breaker.  Went back to the living room and smelled that something in the system fried.  Turned out it was the Monster Power Center I had many other things plugged into.  I got lucky because that was the only thing that was affected.  I bought a better model to replace the one that fried.
Hi Eric, We live on the side of a hill. 10 years age we were struck by lightening at 7:30 PM. I was walking down the stair when I heard a loud SNAP. The lights blinked. In that instant we lost both garage door operators, the telephones, the burglar alarm, the computers and both my Preamplifiers. Both were perpetually on. I went up into the attic and there was no sign of anything. The next day I went outside to find fragments of shingles on the ground out back and looking up on the very ridge of the roof about 10 shingles were standing straight up as if they were at attention. It cost the insurance company $16,000. I had replacement value insurance so I made out like a bandit. The Krell preamp was the most expensive single unit and was out of production. It had a scratchy volume pot that could not be replaced and Dan D'Agostino had no intention to fix it. It was a custom pot that was out of stock. He told me to get a pot from Radio Shack and mount it on top! I am absolutely not kidding! Got my first TacT unit and never looked back.
Sometimes nature looks after you:-)
It had a scratchy volume pot that could not be replaced and Dan D'Agostino
had no intention to fix it. It was a custom pot that was out of stock. He told me to get a pot from Radio Shack and mount it on top! I am absolutely not kidding!

That is the funniest thing I've read all year, thanks @mijostyn !
Not surprised. Anyone who puts their signature on a monster dial is not to be trusted.