Need a sut for Hana ml

I hava a Cary ph301 phono stage Mc has 60dB at 100 Ohms  it’s to much gain for cartridge,  I tried 1:10  into mm input  , gain much better but it produced 470 Ohms sounds more like my Hana sl,  the Hana  ML needs >100 Ohms ,what ratio sut should I use ,any advise would be appreciated ,thank you ,and happy holidays.
fedie
Granted, there are some MM phono stages that are not the standard of approx 40 db and approximately 47k ohms.  If it is not a standard MM input, then I stand corrected.  However, my statement stands.  The ML at 1:20 into a standard MM phono stage sounds great, better than any other ratio.  The SL at 1:10 also sounds great.  If you don't believe me, try it yourself. 
Bob and Dover, but didn’t the OP say in his original post (or OP) that he senses less gain via the 1:10 SUT into his MM input (which provides 42db gain per the owners manual on line) than he gets by using the MC inputs of the same preamplifier, which provides 62db gain, again according to on-line information? Further, he felt that the latter hook-up provides too much gain, which is odd because according to my calculations his 1:10 SUT into 42db MM section gives the same total gain as his MC stage alone (62db in both cases). If he goes to a 1:20 SUT into his MM stage, he will have 68db total phono gain, and he will be feeding 1V into his linestage section, albeit there will be a benefit if he wants to get closer to a 100-ohm load on the cartridge. I guess only the OP can sort this out.
Incidentally, the MM stage in the Cary PH301 is evidently not "standard" in that it provides 42db gain into a 68K load. (See above and above that.)  Furthermore, there are MM phono stages that provide anywhere from 39db gain (Ypsilon) up to 45db and even 50db gain. So I don't know how you can standardize on the idea that the Hana ML per se requires a 1:20 SUT.
lewm

As I mentioned/hoped, others should catch any mistakes I made. Thanks for pointing out OP’s particular phono stage resistance is 68k, not 47k (my errant assumption was ’normal’ 47k).

My initial and specific answer ’x factor 14’ is far from complicated. (into 68k, I now say x factor 16)

Then I yapped about how I came to that conclusion. That’s complicated.

Get a SUT with optional loading is not complicated advice.

Find a SUT that fits your existing or future cartridge’s specs is complicated.

The yap (here and prior) was for OP and/or anybody following to be able to figure this out on their own.

It’s inverse: The higher the x factor, the lower the resultant impedance ’shown’ to phono stage will be. OP’s cartridge .4mv signal strength and coil impedance of 7 is a particular challenge.

Many people love that cartridge. Some, not all, know what their phono mc stage or their SUT is doing. Sounds good, great. OP is asking what might work for him, using a SUT.

OP started with Too High as his problem. He needs to determine HOW HIGH a final signal strength is ok for his system, to get the resultant impedance low. (even lower to work withhis phono stage’s 68k impedance).

x factor 16 = 6.4 mv signal strength, his 68k phono stage increases the resultant impedance to 265.
x faxtor 18 = 7.2 mv ..... resultant impedance lowers to 209.

IS 7.2 mv tooo high?

OP’s 68k phono stage impedance exacerbates the problem, it raises OP’s/ANY coil’s resultant impedance by 45%. (68k divided by 47k = 1.45)

x factor 14. into ’normal’ 47k: resultant impedance ’shown’ is 240. into 68k that is 345 (+45%)

The basic way to lower ANY coil’s resultant impedance shown to ANY phono stage: is by increasing the x factor which increases the xfs, which lower the impedance shown.

Precisely the problem here, as the OP is needing a lower x factor to solve his phono stage’s ’too high’ signal boost, while needing low resultant impedance shown.

Resistors: as I said, I don't understand that, but it appears to be the way to more precisely solve this.
I think at this point we need to hear from the OP.
in my opinion, the Hana ML with its 0.4mV output and 7-ohm internal resistance is a typical LOMC. A solution that works for it would work for a wide variety of other LOMCs that produce between 0.25 and 0.5 mV output. But the solution has to fit also the Cary ph301 and the downstream components in his particular system.
60dB is certainly not too much gain for a 0.4mV cartridge. That nets an output of 0.4 V, which should certainly not be overloading anything within the phono stage or downstream of it. Something else must be going on if it seems too noisy. 

Any SUT 10x - 20x should work fine with MM mode, but as noted the Cary's MM input impedance is unusual - but in general, don't get too hung up on loading numbers with SUTs (unless you have an egregiously bad mismatch); small loading differences from a SUT are not as sonically tweaky as for active stages. 

Personally I'd try a SUT 15x or 16x. But since you say the MC mode sound is not good, I'd be suspect of the Cary altogether and maybe consider replacing it at once with a SUT and new MM stage.