Class D

Been thinking of trying a D amp to reduce clutter. Most that I see are not rated at 2 ohms.  My PSB Stratus gold's will drop to 3 ohms or lower at some frequencies. So my question is will these types of amps handle this impedance ?
Thanks in advance. Chris
128x128zappas
Hi, has this conversation degenerated to fake data, or specifications that have no bearing on actual listening experience?

If so, I'm in!

Erik
No, not on my end. An amp that can easily handle a Scintilla, not just handle but do it beautifully, is a breeze with any other speaker. Several users on the old Apogee forum agree and they are fanatical about their Apogees! I was less fanatical for mine especially when they needed restoration and I had to let them go - along with the amp.

Price is not bad at around $3500, if I recall. Problem is Henry Ho is tough to get a hold off, as it seems this is a sideline for him. I can pass along his email to anyone interested.
As said in my first post, they don’t give it as they either turn off going into protection mode, or they are current starved into 2ohms, or the worst oscillate.
Your speakers present a very hard load especially the combined impedance together with - phase angle (EPDR)
And for @justmetoo here’s a link to "try" and understand how speakers torture amps, especially EPDR. (page2)
This is fake news.

If you have a class D amp, and a speaker that dips to 3 ohms or even 2 ohms, don't worry- just hook it up. EPDR won't be an issue- the output impedance of any modern class D amp is only a few milliohms; what's happening at 2 or 3 ohms is thousands of times higher impedance and the amp won't care.

It may not double power into 2 ohms though, but that's not important except at clipping. What's important with most speakers is the amp behave as a voltage source, which it will do just fine.

With regards to that bit about 'oscillate': most modern class D amps already oscillate as part of their modus operandi. You can't somehow make them oscillate *more*; the idea is rubbish.

This is fake news.
Just like *****, into protection mode for his own interests, the new Class-D must be coming soon.

It may not double power into 2 ohms though, but that’s not important
That more fake than anything!
Most Class-D’s, independent tests, can’t better the 4ohm wattage with the 2ohm load, if they don’t turn off first, let alone double it. That’s how "strangled" they are for current.

With regards to that bit about ’oscillate’: most modern class D amps already oscillate as part of their modus operandi. You can’t somehow make them oscillate *more*; the idea is rubbish.
No you are. You know exactly what was meant by that, don't play the arrogant card, just another ***** side step to protect an upcoming Class-D from you