Your system struck by lightning? What did you learn?

I'm really curious to learn from anyone who has suffered a lightning strike.  Did you use surge suppression? What survived? What did not? Were your neighbors worse or better off?

Anyone pay for the electrical service's monthly surge suppression in the meter?
erik_squires
Post removed 
I have whole house surge protection and my power conditioners have surge protection, however when we get real bad storms with lots of lightning I unplug my 2 systems
Synology HD.  PIA, it has the OPSYS on it.  Put it on a sacrificial. Good enough.
I had a ground-fault catastrophe.  It destroyed every SS piece of equipment that was hooked up (two cd-players, a sub ... [along with the oven fan; the coax cable for internet melted]).  Tube equipment SEEMED unaffected, but a blown capacitor showed up later in the summer in one of my amps--I assume that's what caused it.    I also had a lightning strike years ago that took out my VHS (not anything in my sound system).   What struck me as odd is in neither case did a circuit breaker blow; and in none of the burnt out equipment did the fuses blow.  Maybe someone w/ more expertise than I have can explain why not? (I didn't really expect a tiny fuse would stop a lightning bolt that had already travelled five miles to my house, but I wouldn't have expected it to survive either.)