Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Post removed 
Post removed 
MC, does the DBA make that much of a difference in the bass considering the Moabs already have 4 12 inch subs (already spread out significantly due to the height of the speakers)?
Good question. Moabs do have excellent deep bass. A few times people have wanted to hear them without the subs and even me being used to 5 subs after a few minutes its not like I'm missing much. A lot of people used to the lean hifi sound so many seem to prefer might even be happier that way. For sure Paul said there was a lot of bass. But then he put on the most bass heavy track I ever heard, Billie Eilish or something like that. Felt like my whole room was a sub and I was inside it. 

The thing about it, yes Moab woofers are far apart. But relative to the wavelength they handle they are one. Same as the MTM tweeter array looks spread out, but in terms of the wavelengths they cover its equivalent to one 9" midrange. Eric told me the math a couple times now, but I keep forgetting. Anyway, having four subs spaced 15 to 20 feet apart around the room still does improve the smoothness and extension, regardless of where you set them in terms of level. Just not nearly as much as with other speakers I have had.