16 ohm speakers: any amp sounds better with more resolution. speaker cables less critical.

First,

Thanks to anyone who responds with whatever answers/opinions/advice comes from this. I'm retired, covid bound, Donna is taking care of everything holiday related, too much time, always curious.

I happened across this in an old thread started by Ralph (atmasphere)

"Sixteen ohms, BTW is a very simple means for getting more resolution out of your system, as nearly every amplifier made sounds better on 16 ohms than it will on 4 or 8 ohms. Speaker cables become far less critical too."

My speakers are 16 ohms (Electrovoice horn tweeter, horn mid, 15" woofer, crossover, rheostats, from 1958).
Extremely efficient, I have more than enough power. Amp, now and in the past all had 16 ohm taps.
Of course I can hook them up to my Cayin's 8 ohm taps now and listen, but facts, opinions, advice, to learn is good.

Lots of Questions? 

1. why/how do 16 ohm speakers make amps sound better, with more resolution? 

2. why speaker cables less critical? perhaps this is why I/we don't hear cable differences in my system?
I'm using my homemade twisted pair of cat 5 now (8 individually insulated small diameter solid core).

3.  to get exterior bias control: use 8 ohm tap for my 16 ohm speakers? (get alternate amp 4/8 no 16 tap,)

lose advantage(s)? 'sounds better'; 'more resolution'; 'speaker cables less critical'? 

this says slightly more mids:

http://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/ohm-cooking-101-understanding-amps-speakers-and-impedance/

I can fine tune my speakers via their two rheostats: 'presence' and 'brilliance', so not really an issue for me.

4. Importance of Bias Control

how important is Bias? (I don't care about heat, power output, or tube life, just as bias affects sound). Frankly, using vintage tube receiver Fisher 500C, 800C and Fisher Mono Blocks 80Z, I have never checked or adjusted bias. I just put the control in the center position when cleaning insides/controls.

I have always used 16 ohm taps of various vintage tube and SS amps and newer current tube Cayin A88T. (original version, the only one with 16 ohm taps). It's bias control is internal, versions with safer external bias do not have 16 ohm taps.

5. replace their two rheostats? ('presence' and 'brilliance': copper wire-wound on ceramic body, mid/neutral position).
I have them in neutral position now, l/r frequency response equal.   

do I need to keep rheostats 16 ohms? use 8 ohm rheostat with 16 ohm drivers?

sales sheet says 16 ohm, but data sheet shows range 1.0 to 5k ohms. 

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/303/controls_rheostats-1228697.pdf

does that mean, the drivers will draw whatever they draw (varies thru frequency range anyway), doesn't matter as long as rheostat range starts 1.0 ohm, extends past say 100.0 ohms?

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/303/controls_rheostats-1228697.pdf

thanks, Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr
Dear @atmasphere : Totallñy wrong about the quality level performance of the JC-1’s or today top SS amplifiers where almost all of them are non-feedback and many pure class A, the JC-1’s works in class A with its first 30 watts.ear .

Did you heard the Evidence’s mated with the JC-1’s or the top Soundlabs with those monobloks or with other top speakers?

" all due to distortion .." what are you talking about, where are your facts? as always only bla, bla, bla and low knowledge level audiophiles here and elsewhere think that because you are a tube manufacturer you are the bible on amps but about SS you have nothing and always you trying to diminish the SS alternative with no facts and the only reason you do it is that you are taking money as other tube manufacturers from low knowledge level audiophiles that unfortunatelly just have no idea how live MUSIC sounds at near field position. As all of us you are a member of the corrupted AHEE and unfortunatelly you are the darkness part of that AHEE.

Here it’s the measured " distortion " of the JC-1’s even at 1 ohm where puts nothing less than " 4.2kW into 1 ohm (27.2dBW, magenta). The latter is equivalent to an output current of 64.7A! "

https://www.stereophile.com/content/parasound-halo-jc-1-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

This is the J.Atkinson conclusion after he finished the measurements and along that it’s the review down there:

" This is excellent measured performance. The Halo JC 1 is not only the best amplifier to come from Parasound, it ranks up there with the best high-end heavyweights. "

If you don’0t have true facts/measures on what you said stop to spread your poison/false information and please learn that live MUSIC at near field position is everything but warm and it’s brigth, agressive, high dynamic power, with ryhtm, extraordinary at both frequency extremes, sometimes harsh ( listen to a trumpet/horn player at real SPL seated at 3 meters . ).

Recording microphones are " seated " at near field positions not at 20m-30m.

Warm, sweet, relaxed, and other ridiculous adjectives to explain the MUSIC sound in a room/systems is exactly what the corrupted AHEE teachs/teached for the last 50 years to audiophiles but that AHEE in this specific subject were and are only spreading lies deceiving/misleading audiophile gentlemans only to take their money and people like you even try to explain that kind of deceive with no facts.

I don’t care what the audiophiles like ( it’s a personal privilege. ) but with out any doubt all the tube owners are listening ( no matters what ) something really away from what the recording microphones pick-up during recording sessions and in the other side good SS electronics designs ( like the " old " JC-1’s. ) puts any one of use nearer and truer to the recording where tube is only a " caricature ".

Go a head making money, nothing wrong with that but stop to spread false information against SS that you can’t prove or proved and learn from other tube manufacturers that never post in any internet audiophile forums that totally false information in favor of tubes and against SS electronics . Learn from all those honest gentlemans.

R.

" all due to distortion .." what are you talking about, where are your facts?
Your inability to understand the facts isn’t my fault. I’m writing this so you understand that I presented the facts *already*.

If you actually have a genuine interest in learning more of what I posted previously (instead of simply acting on a desire to make me wrong), google ’Gain Bandwidth Product’ and ’phase margin’ and read up. Then you will see why what I posted is correct. FWIW these are engineering topics and may be a little dry. For more information you might also read this article by Bruno Putzeys on feedback. In this one you don’t have to work out the math, if you allow yourself to trust that he did his math homework (in case you don’t know who he is, Bruno is one of the top designers of class D product in the world, responsible for the Purify and Hypex modules):
https://linearaudio.net/sites/linearaudio.net/files/volume1bp.pdf

After reading this article, you should understand why the Parasound is running insufficient feedback, and so has a brightness.

Ignorance is curable- stupid is forever. I’m pretty sure you’re not the latter, so now you have an opportunity.
Dear Raul you posted above {all the tube owners are listening ( no matters what ) something really away from what the recording microphones pick-up during recording sessions} and { Learn from all those honest gentlemans}  = Non-Sequitur ie Sweeping generalizations followed by special pleading The generalization is the fallacy here. The pleading follows it in order to avoid offense or some such measure.

Dear @johnk : Please re-read my post and why I posted that way:

"" or a little extra warmth but the highs are detailed and relaxed. "

again where is that warm or relaxed kind of sounds coming from live MUSIC at nearfield listen to, a horn, cymballs, drums or even a violin or a piano. It does not exist and this is not a generalization and a fallacy: just does not exist.
Things are that the recording microphones are at nearfield position.

I posted :

"" and it’s brigth, agressive, high dynamic power, with ryhtm, extraordinary at both frequency extremes, sometimes harsh ( listen to a trumpet/horn player at real SPL seated at 3 meters . ). ""

That’s how at real SPL sounds/performs a good SS electronics designs. Music have all those adjectives and many more: natural brigthness or natural agressivenes or even sometimes harsh sound is how the JC-1's will performs when the recording asked for. It's not because it needs higher feedback levels.

Issue is understaND HOW LIVE music SOUNDS AND WHAT RECORDING MICRO’S PICK-UP AT REAL spl: THAT’S ss THAT’S THE ONLY WAY TO STAY NEARER TO THE RECORDING TRUER TO THE RECORDINGS. tUBES CAN’T DO IT FOR SEVERAL WELL DOCUMENTED REASONS/FACTS. ( capital letter a finger error. ).

That manufacturer is totally wrong and as usual he never gives/gaves a first hand measured facts that can prove his false information. Exacvtly like today always takes/took another reference that proves nothing here, so useless to give him an answer.

You know, in the world exist honest and dishonest people. Make your own judgement because this " episode " is repeated again for the 1,000 time.

Btw, I respect your opinion and I don’t try to make any offense to any one but only post facts and that’s all.

R.

Btw, I respect your opinion and I don’t try to make any offense to any one but only post facts and that’s all.
Just before that:
That manufacturer is totally wrong and as usual he never gives/gaves a first hand measured facts that can prove his false information. Exacvtly like today always takes/took another reference that proves nothing here, so useless to give him an answer.

You know, in the world exist honest and dishonest people. Make your own judgement because this " episode " is repeated again for the 1,000 time.
The contradiction here is pretty obvious, as are the motives behind it.

I take it then, @rauliruegas that when given the choice of educating yourself, or being stupid, you didn't choose the former.

Instead, you chose to make me wrong for the sake of making yourself seem to look better. In time you might sort out that this technique does not work. But at any time, you will find that redemption is readily available- just read the article I linked, and google the topics I mentioned, and really study them. This is engineering school stuff- if you are fluent with it, you won't appear to be stupid *or* ignorant!

When you say:
"" and it’s brigth, agressive, high dynamic power, with ryhtm, extraordinary at both frequency extremes, sometimes harsh ( listen to a trumpet/horn player at real SPL seated at 3 meters . ). ""

That’s how at real SPL sounds/performs a good SS electronics designs. Music have all those adjectives and many more: natural brigthness or natural agressivenes or even sometimes harsh sound is how the JC-1's will performs when the recording asked for. It's not because it needs higher feedback levels.

Issue is understaND HOW LIVE music SOUNDS AND WHAT RECORDING MICRO’S PICK-UP AT REAL spl: THAT’S ss THAT’S THE ONLY WAY TO STAY NEARER TO THE RECORDING TRUER TO THE RECORDINGS. tUBES CAN’T DO IT FOR SEVERAL WELL DOCUMENTED REASONS/FACTS. 
You must certainly be aware that tubes have no problems at all reproducing the aggressive nature of a trumpet at close range (and played loudly, as that can make a big difference). In fact everything you mentioned in the above quote (which very much reads as if you are saying that only solid state amps can do) tube amps do easily. You really need to try harder than that.

What you missed in my comments was that I was not advocating tubes, in the same way that I was not advocating typical solid state amps that lack sufficient feedback. They **both** have failings, so you pick your poison: either a bit of euphonic warmth or a harshness and brightness.

OR:
If the amp has **enough** feedback, it will simply be neutral. To do that takes a lot of feedback, and as I mentioned, putting that much feedback on most tube or solid state amps will cause them to oscillate due to the phase margins being exceeded. Now I tried to get you to google that, so you'd know what I was talking about. This is the difference between education and ... well... not.

Now given that any amp will have distortion, the trick is to minimize it, and the way to do that with any amplifier is to simply allow it to drive a load that is higher impedance (and usually less weird phase angles as a result). IOW, simple advice: If you want the most out of your amplifier investment dollar, don't make your amp work hard for a living.

When the amp has an easy job, it makes less distortion. Less distortion means less coloration (warmth or brightness).