I love sad music

I'm talking about music that when you're feeling down will make you feel worse. I don't want uplifting or inspirational. Some of Chopin's more melancholic works can do it for me.  I don't listen to country, but George Jones singing "It's a good day for the roses" is about as sad a song as you will find. Leonard Cohen's "Alexandra leaving" is another sad song. I have everything Davis and Coltrane recorded, so I'm looking for recommendations for the most beautiful but depressing music you've ever heard. I want to hear a violin, my favorite instrument, that will bring tears to your eyes. I know this is a strange request but some of the best music comes from dark places. Thanks
cal91
Das Lied von der Erde...Mahler (Das Abshied)

Try Jamie Johnson country/western
Mahler: Das Lied Von Der Erde

With Kathleen Ferrier....

One of the most moving music ever written....

Oups i apologize to the last poster repeating him....

My best to him ....
One of my goals when I started this thread was to get people to share their feelings about why they turn to sad or melancholic music and what effect it has on them. While the anonymity afforded by forums such as these is often used for personal attacks, in this case it offers the ability to be open and honest with others. I have emotional issues, which is probably apparent from my posts and certain music seems to have a therapeutic effect on my state of mind. I am saddened to hear that others are also dealing with similar issues but I am happy to see that many of the posters feel safe and secure enough to share those feelings with others on this thread. I'll probably get some criticism for this, but that's OK.

tostadosunidos...I can't believe I didn't list John Prine, who we recently lost. Sam Stone, Hello in There, and others definitely qualify.

slaw...Absolutely. Air, Largo, etc.

maxnewid...Lucinda Williams - one of my favorites. I saw her in concert. What a great songwriter and performer.

Mahgister...I always look forward to hearing from you. You are a valuable resource for adding to my music library.

A lot of people have mentioned symphonies. I recall George Jones on David Letterman and Letterman said in his introduction something to the effect that if you can't sing like George Jones, go home. I feel that way about symphonies. If you can't write symphonies like Mozart, go home. I'm hoping people can change my mind about that.

tony1954...What a Wonderful World (has to be Armstrong) no doubt about it. 
Thanks cal91 for your kind words and interest for me....

Another suggestion coming from my favorite classical cd:

Purcell "O solitude" by Andras Scholl a countertenor

The perfect union of melancholia and the platonic remembrance of paradise in a sad but redemptive singing rendition in one of the best countertenor cd ever....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y69gogMrvo

Also the great Christa Ludwig singing Mahler lieders.... Less heart crushing than Kathleen Ferrier but with a sophisticated and natural singing that were match only by the greatest female singer of the century....