A/B testing of RCA interconnects using Y splitter- Thoughts?

I am trying out a few sets of cables and this thought occurred to me but would like to get some more knowledgeable folk's opinion ESPECIALLY on the safety side of the amp & phone stage.

Option 1- connect splitters to the output of PS and connect the two cables to compare. One set to input 1 of integrated amp and the other set to input 4 of integrated amp. I would then switch between the two inputs. This I believe would be a level playing field where the output db and the quality of splitter would be the same for both cables.
Can this harm the amp or the PS?
PS=Sutherland Phd
IA= Luxman L-507ux

Option 2- Just use one cable (A) for some time, learn the music well for a # of hours or a week (just to through a number out there) AND then switch to cable (B)

My intuition tells me option 2 is the way to go but I only will have the cables for a very short time so that is why I started off thinking of the viability on option 1.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
wado
The 'Y' or Wye splinter of an output with one of the cables unconnected has two small problems.a] the cable capacitance of the unconnected one adds to the one being tested.b] the unconnected one might act as a hum, noise, interference antenna.

millercarbon
.... You must have that confused with ABX, where each button push changes but you don’t know to what- A to B, B to A, or no change which is X ...
No, that is not at all how an ABX test works.

In an ABX test, there are two sources. One is ’A’ and the other is ’B.’ They never change. You can go back and forth listening to them as many times as you like. ’A’ will always be ’A’ and ’B’ will always be ’B.’

’X’ is the unknown source for the test subject. It is always either ’A’ or ’B.’ The goal of the test is to determine if the listener - under the test conditions - can reliably determine whether ’X’ is ’A’ or ’B.’ The listener can switch among 'A' 'B' and 'X' as many times as he likes to help him identify whether 'X' is source 'A' or 'B'.

Here’s a link to an ABX comparator that offers more detail.

It amazes me how many people will dismiss the value of an ABX test without even understanding it, to say nothing of not having any actual experience with one.