Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
Hi Gsm18439, I can understand Phaelon`s point to a degree. There are people on this thread, you,phil(213cobra) and others with perspective and opinions I respect. If you all say the DEF IV is exceptional I`ll accept that. However on 3 seperate occasions(most reccent was RMAF 2011) when going to the Zu room the sound level was stupid loud and they always seem to be playing rock or electronica(at least on my attempted visits) which made it even worse.It`s as though they`re trying to prove 'yeah we can handle loud'. It was a major turn off on each visit. I`d like to hear them at reasonable levels playing acoustical jazz or anything other than rock and pop music.
Their design and crossoverless approach gets my curiosity, I love simpicity in audio components.
Regards,
Hi CharlesDad,
I honestly think Zu plays loud and crazy music at the shows for marketing reasons and to show that they are different from the typical audiophile speaker company. I live in an old Victorian and I listen at 65-75 dB max and the speakers are really exceptional on vocals, and on acoustic instruments, and I think jazz also. Would love to hear how they compare to your Coincident speakers.
I agree with Morganc about the marketing issues. . . that Zu tries to differentiate themselves from other vendors using their choice of music. Whenever Sean Casey has been at my house, I have played only acoustic music - jazz, vocals, some classical - at very modest levels; and the sound never lacks for tone or dynamics. Actually, I never crank my Def 4s; I have an aversion to music being played loud just for the sake of loud. I have an open-plan house; while the primary listening space is at one end of the 45' x 25' x 16'(high) volume, my goal in selecting speakers was to be able to fill this space with music without having to crank the volume. I wanted speakers that could project.
Morganc,
Thanks for your reply.The Coincident model I have is really fine. Simple 1st order crossover and only 1 capacitor per speaker(no resistors at all). The Zu DEF,Horning and Ocellia(PHY drivers) are efficient-easy load speakers that seem special,at least in theory and concept.They seem to be built for music rather than current high end standard hifi(if you know what I mean).
Regards,
Gsm18439, I didn’t mean to suggest that the Zu’s ability to play loud was at the expense of all the attributes you mentioned, but rather that I was getting the impression that those attributes were maximized at relatively higher volumes.