Sorry, it’s not me, it’s you?

I’ve tried everything, but it didn’t work out.  My speakers suck.  Different cables, different music, different placement, it didn’t matter what I did.  When I replaced them with some old standbys(after burning in the new speakers for over 60 hours), the magic came back.

i just bought the speakers 2 weeks ago at the Black Friday sale, and I finally realized it was a big mistake.  So today I took them back, and frankly, I feel relieved.  
Has anyone else had this experience with speakers or components?  Maybe even after a couple of years?
213runnin
I have. Bought an integrated amp from a very well-known manufacturer who was testing having this product made in China instead of the USA. Low cost (for the make), still a fairly high cost for me. Big mistake. Never liked the sound. Tried for a year or two. Never put a smile on my face. Sold it here to another 'goner and he reported he loved it. I was very glad to hear that, but never could understand why it just didn't sound good to me.
And again...bought some speakers that got very good reviews. Was so happy when they showed up. After several years they got relegated to the bedroom system that my wife listens to and doesn't hesitate to tell me she likes them better than the ones in my system in my dedicated room.
Just thought of another pair of speakers that never sounded good to me.
Oh snap! Just remembered another integrated that didn't sound good either.
Thereare probably others...
Good news is I am completely happy with my current system. 
Even though it is a very simple system (just a CDP for the only source), it sounds wonderful to me. Best sounding room and system I've ever had in 45 years of interest in this hobby.

Tom
My speakers ...my whole system sounded fabulous in my house in New Jersey.   I moved to Arizone and for years I've tried everthing but reclaimed about 60 % of its former glory
To respond to aewarren,

Yes the dealer could have taken more time with me, but it was my fault because I basically made the buy decision based on price(2/3rds off) while looking at the speakers on their website. 
I showed up at 8:30 pm on Black Friday and I couldn’t demo the speakers much because other customers were in the speaker room demoing. I was so sure they would work out!

I’ve had quite a history with speakers in the last few years though. I’m hoping that Kef will save me from the buy/sell cycle I’ve been in...perhaps it would be better to have the emotional attachment that the fella above developed.
I don't know if buying those B&W 805S speakers (two pair because they sounded so amazing) was a mistake, but...
Local Craigslist guy was selling some nice looking speakers for 2K. Never heard of the brand, Dali Helicon 400. Looked them up, nice reviews.Had to listen to them in his garage. Sounded OK, but we couldn't hear anything coming from the super tweeters (until we put on Linda Rondstadt). Bought them, put them next to the 805's. What the hell???Suddenly my 805's were fatiguing, shrill, and lacking in mid bass.Sold both pairs within a week. These Dali's were designed for my ears.
On two other occasions I purchased speakers without proper pre-investigation. Both had replacement drivers, not the originals. Do your homework.
I am going to guess you have an acoustically untreated room. Sometimes speakers just don't work in that situation. No biggie you did the smart thing (for you) and returned them.  Then again maybe they just weren't your flavor. Again you did the right thing.