Amarra 3.0 vs. Audirvana

Hi,
I have been happily using Audirvana to play my hi-res files on my MacBook Pro. The easy integration with your iTunes library is great. I tried earlier versions of Amarra and found the interface to be clunky and the program itself to be buggy and crash-prone. It's also expensive. But I'm wondering if any of you have used the two programs side by side and can vouch for relative merits in terms of sound quality.
rebbi
I tried Amarra HiFi 2.5 and Audirvana Plus; eventually settled on Audirvana Plus for three reasons. 1. Audirvana Plus just sounded better to my ears, slightly higher resolution IMHO. However, I am not going to pretend the difference is night and day, it is not. 2. I prefer the Audirvana Plus interface, nice and simple to use, again IMHO. 3. What finally did it for me is the $50 version of Audirvana Plus will play virtually any HD computer file 24/96 and above; In 2012 Ammara required an expensive upgrade to do this (I believe this is no longer the case?). Bottom line, I am extremely happy to stick with Audirvana Plus.
There's only one version these days, and that includes everything. He also offers a 15-day free trial, after which you can unlock the full version by purchasing a key code.
Amarra 3.0 has improved sound wise, it has more resolution and depth BUT the stability issues persist which is a Con.
Hi

jumping in just to update this thread a tad from another perspective.

switching over to MAC and needing a more formidable media player than iTuynes, I’ve been using the trial versions of both Amara and audirvana as of March 2019. not sure of their actual version numbers though.

I’ve had significant issues with Amarra so far. Amarra support did in fact lend a hand with setup but there is still a configuration issue preventing Amarra from acting in a stand alone condition and playing Apple’s non supported file formats, FLAC,.

I’m sure this situation can be resolved.

there is one very important aspect to the installation and operation of the present Amarra app for those whose vision is restricted or severely impaired. it occurs at the activation screen where one must use a mouse to click the appropriate button to continue using the app. its an impossible item to over come with out sight or guidance from a sighted person.

it wil be necessary for anyone whose vision is so poor they can not navigate a mouse to contact amarra support and they will try to overcome this problem on a case by case basis. be paitient and things will work out.

on SQ alone, its hard to say completely but on those files which both apps do render, as said, it is likely too close to call which is best.

Audirvana Plus had no issues surrounding installaton or playback of any file types or sampling rates.

Audirvana interface is read by Apple’s screen reading facility readily. it is laid out well and easily navigable.

both apps have a significant learnign curve to get the most from them and that process is ongoing.

I’ve not taken into consideration the costs for each app yet. I am leaing towards whatever app can be used and configured easily given my circumstances that will yield better performance. period.

so far, just on points alone, Audirvana Plus is ahead in this two horse race..

the ‘jury’ is still out as a full version of VOX and the ROON Labs apps are yet to be auditioned.