Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
I'm getting close to making a final decision to go up to the Def4s, hoping to have a buyer for my 2s sorted. Ironically the one aspect that has held me back from full satisfaction with the 2s ie bass integration has now been sorted out with the SpatialComputer Black Hole in my Def2 setup, so much so that I've really had to be convinced that the single down firing sub in the Def4s will take me a significant step beyond even this. Phil with his really cool in depth description/analysis really has boosted my confidence here, since I am likely to buy without audition first (sharp intake of breath all around!).
What I have found most illuminating is Phil's description of the greater spectrum of frequencies covered by the new nano impregnated FRDs; they seem to extend deeper into the bass and higher into the treble, which was not even a consideration of mine when trying to work out if the Def4s were likely to outperform my Def2s. The idea I get is that this takes further workload off the sub bass and supertweeter, but since these new drivers too are improved, integration esp. and outright performance are all lifted.
In conclusion, I was initially really worried that the Def4s may have turned out to be a dilution of the unique tone dense signature Zu sound which I (and plenty of followers here) am addicted to, but thankfully they appear to be a reinforcement and step beyond what I love already.
Phil, can I trouble you for a summary of what you're currently finding as the Def4s unwind (btw how fast does the sound open up, how many hours before they'll give of their best?)
Morganc,

I don't have Def3 (I do have Def4 and I had Def2). What you really need given the hearing sensitivity you described, is Def4 with the Radian compression supertweeter. But if that's out of reach, you can expect rock at high SPLs to sound less fatiguing in Def2 or Def3 compared to OmenDef, because of the much better cabinet structure and materials in Definitions, and the resulting sharp reduction in cabinet talk. The glare you experience now with rock music in the OD's MDF and simpler cabinet will be gone from Def3. I expect mediocre recordings will be more acceptable becauce high frequency information up to about 12kHz is produced by the FRD, and the nano drivers deliver cleaner, smoother detail than the older FRD, including the whizzer's performance. The nano drivers are a relatively large improvement over the earlier gen Zu FRD in OD.

Further, if you buy Def3, you could discuss with Sean the possibility of wiring internally with Mission instead of Event, or he might suggest a custom cap choice for the high pass filter to the supertweeter. Last, with Def3 you get the B3 connector. If you use Zu speaker cables and have them terminated with Speakon, the B3 continuity all the way to the amp will further refine and smooth some of what irritates you on the top end. And there again, you might consider Mission instead of Event's silver content.

With the powered sub-bass array in Def2&3, you will get a further 1/3rd octave of bass, if your room supports it, and the tunability of sub output from Def4.

Phil
>>...can I trouble you for a summary of what you're currently finding as the Def4s unwind (btw how fast does the sound open up, how many hours before they'll give of their best?)<<

I've had my Def4s eight weeks. Prior experience with new Definitions has been that I'll notice improvements for months, maybe as far as eight to ten months from installation. But in this case I'll say that the tonal completeness has arrived much more quickly than prior new Zu speakers. Now it's a matter of how much more bloom and dynamic ease materializes, and I expect the LAB-12 sub to climb in output steadily, requiring trim to the sub amp's level. The Radian sounded smooth from the start. My specific speakers did have the benefit of additional use at CES (with my consent) before they were delivered to me. If you take delivery when shipping from cold Utah to a cold destination, break-in can take considerably longer. No matter how much factory break-in, cold weather shipping seems to set back the clock on new speakers. Mine were delivered to Los Angeles, via Las Vegas.

>>the greater spectrum of frequencies covered by the new nano impregnated FRDs; they seem to extend deeper into the bass and higher into the treble<<

I didn't actually claim this and if I wrote something that led you to believe I did, then let me correct the misperception, and be more precise: The nano driver actually does have the potential to go higher than the traditional Zu supertweeter roll-in point at 12.5kHz, but that hinge point isn't changed on Def4. But the articulation of the whizzer is certainly greater and more refined. Then the Radian takes over above the FRD's whizzer and it's much smoother, more nuanced, more beautiful and dispersive than the old Zu supertweet. All over, the nano driver is faster, more revealing. more agile. On the bottom end it's different in that you can now adjust the hinge frequency for the low pass filter on the 12" sub, and in part this is feasible because the FRD is capable of a bit more low range than before. Centrally, however, the Zu nano FRD is covering essentially the same acoustic range in Def4 as in Def2, but the sub and super complements are seriously upgraded.

Def4s will probably give their very best in about eight months, but unlike earlier Defs, you'll feel like you're just about there within a couple of weeks of daily use, and maybe as soon as 3 or 4 days depending on whether your speakers have taken an extended cold weather trip. But I'm only 8 weeks in, so I'll let you know if a lot of concealed potential unexpectedly emerges over the next several months.

Phil
Hi Morgan. I have your kind of hearing issues, and highs that tend to the edgy, like produced by many "detailed" audiophile speakers, are hard on me. I got a bit of this when I heard the otherwise very nice Soul Superfly, and when I was seriously considering the Omen Def, Sean (who is very helpful), said he could address it with a modestly priced cap upgrade. I'm now very intrigued by the Def 4; I hope they bring them to RMAF.

John
I agree with Phil about Def 4 vs Def 2 break-in. With the cavear that my Def 4s had more than the usual break-in and play time before I received them in October, they have changed very little since then. By contrast the Def 2s evolved over the course of 9-10 months. . . if not longer.