Hard Drive based system

I've read all of the threads I could find on a "server" type system. I plan on running a hard drive, to a Waveterminal, to a DAC. My question is, can a system like this sound as good, or better than, my cd player? Is it all up to the DAC?

I currently have a Marantz 8260 CD/SACD player.
ecruz
All high-end CD players should include digital inputs these days. I know they don't, but they should, because many of us want to add hard drives as a source.

APL HI-Fi has a digital in for their mods. I am going to have Alex add one to my APL player. Then I can take the digital out from the Squeezebox instead of having to use its DACs and analog outputs.
Joemt,

You ask a good question. Since TRL does not provide any details of their mods it might be difficult for me to get any more information. However, when I got the original modified unit Paul Weitzel told me I'd be much happier with it as a transport.

Now, the latest mods for the Alesis focus on making it a much better CD dupplication/recording tool. TRL uses the Alesis for their 2-track masters on their recording labels. They are on a mission to make the Alesis the best CD duplicator and recording unit. I'll be sending mine in for the new upgrade. If you are using a stock Alesis you may want to consider the full TRL upgrade package at $550 which includes the new mods that I will be getting. It will take the Alesis to a new level and make it an excellent CDP as well (which like me, you may or may not need, since you’re using a DAC, but the option is nice for me as my DAC is non-os and the Alesis CD will give me upsampling options).

I realize the Alesis does not have the flexibility of the Squeezebox, but I'm not yet convinced that the Squeezebox device is the answer to hard drive digital playback. I think we are at the tip of the iceberg right now with this type of technology and better options are on their way.
There has been alot of talk in the past on
"Gearslutz" about Masterlink Mods.

One link had this info about the mods being done:

Mine was the first ML Jim mod'd. It was a definite improvement over the stock unit. Specifically, here's what gets done:

- install National LM6172 dual opamps at 3000/us slew rate.

- install larger Rubycon Z series electrolytic caps to extend the low end (and did it ever!!)

- install .01 uf wima poly caps on the input, MIT's on the output.

- increased the power supply bypass caps and installed .1 uf mono ceramic bypasses.

- Bandwidth limiting caps were used on certain stages.

- The opamps used as followers were cut and changed to closed loop buffers.

The converters themselves don't get changed as they're apparently surface mounted to the board and Jim didn't want to risk lifted traces and such. However, the changes he did make do indeed improve the overall sound of the unit - low end is extended noticeably and there's just more overall detail that I can hear.

Joe T.
Just got off the phone with Brian at TRL. He wanted to know if it was okay to disconnect the headphone jack. He said it adds "considerable degredation". Rip it out, I say.

I asked again about adding a digital in. He knew nothing about it. Said he'd ask Paul. It's not looking good : (

Told me it should ship out Monday.
Just spoke to Paul at TRL, they had to wait for some parts, but the Sony will be on it's way back to me today. So I probably won't have it until Monday. I'll let it run for a week or so before I do any critical listening. I'm off of work the following week so I'll be able to play with it for 10 straight days. By the time I have to come back to work, it should have 350-400 hours on it.

I'll post my impressions after the first 100 hours or so and then again after the first of the year. It should be close to burned in by then.

As for the digital input, not going to happen. He said it's very hard to get a player to interface with the outside world, unless it was designed that way from the start.