B&W 801D or 802Ds

Basically, I would like your impressions of both of these speakers. I have gone out and heard them, but not side by side, and either one would be a most excellent choice. However, I would like to know from owners of these speakers what are the strengths and weaknesses of the 2.

I do prefer the big woofers of the 801D, but the 802D might have tighter bass. Also, I've looked for the 801Ds and I haven't found them anywhere on the used market. Not even here on Audiogon this summer.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to the discussion.
dave_72
Cool, thanks for the info. Congrats on the 800 Diamonds. That's one Hell of a speaker.
I think the 802D's are very good speakers. I have a pair in a listening room of 12'X 15 ft.with vaulted ceiling. It is fully carpeted with drapes on two of the four walls. along with some overstuffed furniture. My point is controlling the acoustics of the room go along way with the way these speakers sound. I also chose my upstream components and cables carefully to achieve what I think is some good sound from them. And don't forget speaker placement. A quarter of an inch toe-in makes a big difference with the imaging of them,along with proper distance from rear and side walls to control the speakers low frequency output. I also compared the 802D's to the new 802 Diamonds. As I said in other threads, I listened to them in the same dealers properly set up show room. Same gear,same music same volume levels. All in a lengthy listening session. In my opinion and the salesman's the two systems sounded very much alike with only very minor differences. I think the 802D's would work well in your room and with their slim elegant appearance would also look very nice.IMO.
Dave 72

there is a review of the 802D in one of the audio mags this month. HiFi+? The 802D is featured on the cover of the magazine so it shouldn't be hard for you to find it.
Thanks, Mr_m for sharing your experience. I have no problem with distance from the side walls...the back wall distance gets a little problematic, but I plan on getting some Sonex for that.

What are your components and cables?