B&W 801D or 802Ds

Basically, I would like your impressions of both of these speakers. I have gone out and heard them, but not side by side, and either one would be a most excellent choice. However, I would like to know from owners of these speakers what are the strengths and weaknesses of the 2.

I do prefer the big woofers of the 801D, but the 802D might have tighter bass. Also, I've looked for the 801Ds and I haven't found them anywhere on the used market. Not even here on Audiogon this summer.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to the discussion.
dave_72

Showing 9 responses by lloydelee21

I think older krell is very good. fpb 750mx, fpb450mcx, 700cx, fpb650cx, 600c...all excellent. all available for 40-50cents on the dollar if you look. newer krell is also good...evo series 402 is well regarded...not cheap.
Dave,

I happened to speak with Jack Tozzi at Spearit Sound and asked for you. They have a pair of Signature 800 speakers s/hand for quite a good price. Feel free to call and ask for Jack Tozzi.
The 801Ds, as i recall, are even tougher to drive. So if 802D has tighter bass, you might need to go back and consider which amp was driving the 801s. And of course, you need to ensure that at home, you have such power (both current and wattage).

Assuming you do, my recollection is i preferred the 801s...but not like i could not be happy with 802s in the right system. The right system here will do better than the wrong system with the "better" speaker. Two good speakers there, so enjoy! good luck and pls keep us posted.
Dave72

regarding s/hand 801s, talk to Jack Tozzi at Spearit Sound. They are some of the best audio dealers i have ever done business with...for 10+ years. Please send him my regards. Based in Massachusetts.

Lloyd Lee
i hear you EVerest. i thought i would suggest it in case he was focused on getting big speakers no matter what. in my own case, for the right price, i would do it...so i get the speaker i want. since i still rent, i know i could always move and find a bigger room within a year or 2...but in a 1 i might not necessarily get that rare opportunity to get the speaker i want at great s/hand price. for example, Jack did say the last time they sold a s/hand pair of 801Ds was over 4-5 years ago, and they are a pretty big seller of audio.
Dave 72

there is a review of the 802D in one of the audio mags this month. HiFi+? The 802D is featured on the cover of the magazine so it shouldn't be hard for you to find it.
Hi...cannot say. Not heard, though obviously read good things...others here can certainly help. would imagine some would say Pass emphasis on purity of tonality is a key differentiating factor. Krell probably the edge on full-out assault on bass control. Some might prefer see through transparency of the Krell more...again, leave it to those who have truly A/Bd. good luck and enjoy!