Ethernet cables

I started something that I really regret now! I changed my Melco ethernet cable (from switch to streamer) to a very expensive Audioquest Vodka and hated the sound! I returned it and got a similarly priced Atlas Mavros cable which I also hated. Both stripped the life out of the music and while they were very smooth and detailed, they never really got off from sounding dull.
Then just for fun (!) i tried a cheap Cat5e cable that i had in the garage and actually preferred that to all of them, including Melco. 
Anyone had any similar experiences?

ludwig99
Hello, did you use the Grun version of the Atlas Mavros ethernet cable? 

If so, did you listen with and without grounding the cable? 

I have the basic Wireworld Starlight connected from the modem to the router. It's sound quality was noticeably better than the cheap cable I previously used. However, I wasn't able to hear the differences between ethernet cables until the modem and router were fed by a linear power supply. 

Search other threads in Audiogon regarding powering your modem and router with LPSs.

High quality ethernet cables can expose a weak point of your system which might be dirty AC.

The combination of LPSs and a better ethernet cable made a positive improvement in my system. 
I heard a significant improvement in SQ after changing from CAT6 to Supra CAT8. Conductors are separately shielded.
https://www.ebay.com/c/1640631596

@c_avila1 
Very interesting. I've researched using a LPS for a router, but never found conclusive evidence of improved SQ. I have a Verizon unit.

hey i have used shunyata ethernet cables over stock and found very big improvements in sound coming from my digital rig.  the improvement was so much that i ended up buying the omega e/net cable.  

a LPS on the router also made a massive difference in my setup.

weirdly this was even when the e/net cable was connecting to a server which was not streaming music (music is on hard disk on server).  it seems noise comes in via the e/net cable in my system and shunyata cables helped with that.  

the difference the cables made were those standard things when noise is lowered (biggest impact on bass and mid-bass i find).

i did try a reunion cat 8 cable which was much cheaper than the shunyata cables.  it was okish but as you indicate sort of gave the sound a stripped out hollowness which was unpleasant.  i went back to stock rather than use that.