older dacs

I have decided to go with a dac rather than buy a new cd player. I feel the transport on my sony dvp s-7700 is still good.

I do have a question however. Has the technology changed that much in dacs where it warrants buying new. Am I better off to buy something that is a few years old for $500 or buy something new for $500. The one that is $500 used probably cost over $1000 new at one time. Not that price always relates to performance.

Also what are your thoughts on tubed dacs. The rest of my gear is SS and I like to leave it on. Will leaving a tubed dac on just put unnecessary wear on tubes.

Let me know
tiggerpooh
Using a JVC XL-Z1010 as transport into a California Labs Alpha DAC (two 12AX7s). I would NEVER trade my Alpha. It's a great and sweet sound. System is "old" but sounds super to me.
My experience has showed that cheaper but newer digital is better than older expensive digital, in general. I don't put much money into the source - I replace it with newer models more often instead.
Until a few months ago I was using a PS Audio Ultralink II in balanced mode... it was very, very good even still blowing off a Sony DVP-S9000 ES (Redbood SACD) player in redbook easily as that was the dedicated transport. Sold it on eBay for about $500 and bought a highly discounted new Marantz SA-11-S1 ($2300 vs. $3500 retail). I have a couple oif hundred hours on the Marantz now and it keeps getting better and better... it was better than the Ultralink right out of the box ice cold as a reference point.
My advice is wait a month or two hopefully and PS Audio will have their $999 dac out (maybe find it discounted a bit)

Arnie Nudell heard it and thought it was better than almost any dac out there in Levinson. It's going to be a giant killer and worth a little more than your current budget. PS Audio is doing amazing things these days with low cost gain cell gear. I just got their GCPH phono preamp, and it is excellent.

Wait, save more money and audition it, That;s what I;m doing,
I'll second the Audio Mirror, but you should also check in to the Channel Islands Audio DAC with separate power supply. I had a chance to hear in Dusty's listening room and it was very impressive. It is in your budget and has a 30 day trial period .