Bass Driver Size - how much better is an extra inch?

Have older b&w speakers and bass drivers are 7 inches vs 804 d3 speakers that are 6 1/2.

the larger drivers seem to really open the sound stage, more open and less constrained.  Imaging of older speakers not as good but a very enjoyable listen.
Not sure why driver sizes tend to be smaller these days unless you pay a lot more.  Hear that most consumers want more compact mains so drivers are smaller.  Kinda sad.
emergingsoul
One way to get the transient response of a six or eight inch woofer out of a fifteen inch woofer is to put an appropriate fifteen in a well designed corner horn.  Admittedly this mandates a largish enclosure.  Mine are 18 cu.ft. each.
I have a 16' x 15' room with a pair of Klipsch K-horns in the corners of the long dimension (they're 1978 models that have an updated (per spec) crossover and modern wiring (lamp cord was original).
I've often wondered if I would significantly improve the sound by adding a subwoofer?

Emergingsoul wrote: 

"Have older b&w speakers and bass drivers are 7 inches vs 804 d3 speakers that are 6 1/2.  The larger drivers seem to really open the sound stage, more open and less constrained.  Imaging of older speakers not as good but a very enjoyable listen." 

Imo the difference between 6.5" diameter and 7" diameter drivers is inconsequential. 

I think you are SEEING a cone size difference and HEARING a sonic difference, assuming that the one is the cause of the other. 

My guess is that there are other factors involved which are not readily apparent, but which have a greater effect than the small difference in cone diameter. 

Duke 
I have older 803's with dual 6" woofers. My even older B&W's with 6.5 inch woofers do add something that is pleasurable. but I liked my old 8" Peerless subs that I put in my Acoustats better than the identically designed 10"ers I now use, because the tens are not quite as tight on acoustic bass. Interestingly, the difference between successive model preamps from the same company is nearly as great.
You cannot predict what you will experience when sitting back in your chair from specs such as these.  You MUST listen to the speakers and preferably in your home.  Your example is 0.5 in difference from the same mfg, but from a different generation.  You wouldn't expect any difference here but the newer generation may be far superior to the older design.  The factors that contribute to a speaker's sound is extensive as others have mentioned.  I have Platinum Audio Quattros that have four 4.5 in drivers, two crossed for mids and two for bass in a nice slim cabinet.  No way this speaker can extend low.....right??  Well, they would shock you on how effectively they can play down in the 30s and loud too!  I tried out the Focal 1038Be2 with three 7 in all dedicated to the low end and in my room they were weaker in the bass compared to the Quattros.  Platinum Audio speakers were designed by Phil Jones, who is a bassist and has a great love for good bass from his speakers.  This goes back to all the other factors and how he designed his speakers.  Now I have Wilson Audio Sophias with a 10 inch driver in each.  They far surpassed my Quattros in their lower extension and have become my new speaker.  Let's do the math and measure the amount of air displaced from the cones surface area.

Platinums(two 4.5in) 32 sq inches
Focal(three 7in) 115 sq inches
Wilson(one 10in) 78 sq inches

This would imply a different scorecard for sure!