smaller speakers for critical listening?

I'm curious whether folks out here think that standmount speakers can reward "critical listening." 

I know that may be a ridiculous question; of course one can sit down with Radio Shack speakers and engage in serious listening, and of course the experience is subjective for all of us. I'm actually asking for subjective responses here. If your goal is a system for critical listening, do you think smaller speakers can do the trick or do you need the bigger soundstage and depth that can come with floor-standing, planar, or electrostatic speakers? 

I'm not asking which is *better* in a given speaker line, the small ones or the big ones, and I'm not thinking about $50k Wilson-Benesch Endeavours or the like. Before the pandemic I auditioned some highly enjoyable standmount speakers in the $5k-$10k range. However, listening for an hour in a store, I couldn't tell whether they crossed the threshold from "terrific sound for a small speaker" to pull-up-a-chair-and-tune-out-the-world bliss.

As you can probably tell, I'm struggling with my room; it's very hard to place big speakers in it. Otherwise I'd buy Maggies or Vandersteens or JA Perspectives, etc, and be happy. And, to repeat, I know that the threshold for critical-listening speakers is subjective. I'm asking for opinions and experiences!
northman
@jjss49 , I'm totally pleased! I'm truly appreciative of all the thoughts, recommendations, and insights. I have a literal list next to me (now adding the w-b vertex), and I've emailed Reference 3A about dealers. The hunt is on, at least in the imagination! (Begone, covid!)

I have a question for anyone reading this. Is there a general principle about how much space is desirable behind the listening chair? I'm noodling around with my small room but the chair would likely have to be right up against the back wall. Or, I might ask it this way: with stand mounts, what triangle dimensions would be getting too small, the chair and speakers too close together? Of course it depends on the speakers, etc, but I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb for near field listening. 
@northman 

you don't want your head up against the back wall, obviously

a couple feet clearance minimum would be best

try some soft heavy cloth wall hangings to absorb...

@northman,

In my opinion small stand-mounts with separate subwoofer(s) are PREFERRED over large full range speakers. I say this because optimum room placement is different for low frequencies vs mids & higher, and this gives you the freedom to optimize them separately. 

I have been completely satisfied with this concept for years. 

Have fun!

Thanks, @rockrider! I'm actually now contemplating a route that I simply hadn't thought about before: using my small room as a semi-dedicated listening room.

I'm wondering if the room is big enough. I can ask this elsewhere but do you guys think that a triangle with 7' sides (speakers/chair) would be big enough for stand-mounts? Of course it will depend on the speakers but, in general, is that simply too small for an effective set-up?

Thanks again, everyone.