A move from Harbeth to... Wilson?

Hi gang, hoping for some thoughts. 

I'm very happy at the moment with my system, but getting a slight itch for an upgrade. So many options and directions I could go, but the one I'm pondering at the moment is moving from my Harbeth C7ES-3 speakers to Wilson Sabrinas. (The Sabrina X is now out, which may bring the Sabrina down to my budget... maybe.)

My room is approx. 10'6" x 15'6" with the speakers along the short wall and my listening chair is about 2/3 back from said wall. The C7s plus their stands are just about the right size for this room, and the Sabrinas on their floor spikes are similar in "overall" size, though obviously the speakers themselves are bigger.

Current amp is a Pass Labs XA30.5 which doubles down at 4Ohms (plus lots of headroom) and comes just within Wilson's "recommended" amplifier power. The room is on the smaller side, and I don't listen loud; I've never "wanted" for more power with the C7s. (Though every once in a while I wonder what a pair of XA60.5s would sound like in here, but that's an entirely different thread.)

Eh? Any thoughts?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdon_chisholm
As others have said, it sounds like a strange move. Take it if you want but try to listen to some other speakers also.

If you want a change, maybe try another type of speaker? Like horns, planers or omnidirectional?
MBL 121 might be worth trying. 
W/P 8s (94 dB) are now reasonable and sound great with lower powered amps. Consider them. They sound great with Both my 18w tube amps and my Pass 600.8s. 
@yogiboy Thanks for explaining.  
I think I understand what you mean.  IME, Harbeths are easy to drive but need a certain synergy with the amplifier to sound their best.  I have had a few amps that sounded "small" with my Harbeths in comparison to my current amp (Hegel H590) and a few others.  Of course, proper set-up is also essential.  I think this is true of any speaker, however.  
Happy listening!
Thanks for more comments and thoughts!

I've heard (and had) planars, not interested in going there at this time. Same with open-baffles and "horns" - not my thing. Though "omnis" such as MBL might not be out of the question, that would require some new consideration.

I've heard the Sabrinas numerous times at shows, and a local dealer, where I also recently heard the new Sabrina X. While the new X definitely isn't in the budget, the Sabrina could potentially be, especially on the previously-owned market. An in-home audition prior to purchasing isn't likely an option, but I've rarely had that opportunity, anyway.

As for going from Harbeth to Wilson, I suppose it is a different direction, which is probably the reason for this thread. Again, appreciate the many thoughts so far.
soix3,219 posts11-05-2020 11:27amSounds like you’re not sure what you’d like to improve upon — “upgrade” is too vague at least for me.  So failing that the obvious safe and perhaps smartest bet is moving up the Harbeth line. I would say that given you like the Harbeth sound I’d suggest looking at Sonus Faber over Wilson — a little more rich or warm/musical and less clinical sounding (relatively) than Wilson while possibly adding better 3D holographic imaging over Harbeth if that would qualify an an upgrade to you. Those are my impressions of the house sound differences anyway, FWIW. Hope this helps, and best of luck
Sorry, but I think that the Sonus Faber are very bright. I find it brighter than the Harbeth and the Wilson’s. With his components, he can’t go wrong with the Sabrina’s. The Harbeth upgrades are nice as well. Better bottom end with the Wilson. More control and is a better match with Pass Labs Class A amplifiers. It’s about matching the components with the right speakers. You are heading in the right direction. Stay on course, it will pay off. This is no disrespect to the Sonus Faber brand.