Millercarbon's Mega Vibration Control Journey

Vibration control is such a huge, and hugely important, topic it deserves a thread of its own. There was a time I thought it nuts to say such a thing. In fact I wrote a letter to the editor excoriating them for wasting my time on the goofy idea that clamping components between shelves could have any effect on sound at all, let alone be worth spending good money on a rack designed to do just that. This was the Michael Green rack, and thanks to my closed mind and dismissive attitude I never did bother to try and find out for myself if there was anything to it.  

Important Lesson Number One: Don't be so quick to dismiss things just because you can't understand how they could work. 

Couple years later unpacking a McCormack DNA1 amp the Owner's Manual says the included spike can be used to improve sound quality. Well now. As crazy as it still sounded this time its Steve McCormack, and he's already given me the spike, so what do I have to lose? Much to my surprise it did indeed improve the sound. Not a lot. But definitely more detail, clarity.  

This is very early 1990's. There is no internet. I know precisely zero audiophiles. Until stumbling upon this one guy at work who says oh yeah and put your CDP on a phone book, and another one on top. Which sounded even crazier but the guy was serious and this being the 90's we all had phone books laying around so I gave it a shot. This time it was only the most barely perceptible improvement, but it was there. If you really listened for it. So not much. Then again, free. Wrapped some fabric around it, ran the CDP like this for quite some time. 

Around this time I'm shopping for components for my new listening room when this guy is more excited about something called Black Diamond Racing Cones than the amp or whatever he was trying to sell me. So I get 3 of these things and they're so much better than the phone book its hard to believe! Well, okay, it was a phone book. Got to compare against something, right? 

These Cones are so good I take them to this Seattle audiophile club and show them around all excited and.... nobody cares. Except this one guy who goes on and on about how he has tried phone books, tennis balls, racquet balls, styrofoam, cones, spikes, on and on everything under the sun, he's tried it all there's just no way he's gonna be impressed- he makes this very clear to me- but okay you're the new guy let me borrow em why not. But they're not gonna work. No way. 

Next day this guy calls me up gushing going on and on how great these are what are they again where did you find em how many can I get? I actually wind up becoming the Washington State distributor for Black Diamond Racing selling Cones, Shelf, all of it. This guy winds up like me, pretty much everything on BDR.  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367  

A lot of what I knew about vibration control back then was based on my own experience with BDR, and learning from owner DJ Casser. This resulted in what became my guiding principles of vibration control: Mass, Stiffness, and Damping.
128x128millercarbon
Wow. turnbowm, The propensity for ignoring useful information to hatefully go after me is just staggering. Because how could anyone fail to understand? Its clearly stated this was the 1990's. For you who are so challenged, math I know can be hard, that was like 30 years ago. English too, apparently. Takes at least grade school level reading to understand everything in the OP happened way back in the 90's. Is it not clearly stated this is a journey? Its only just begun.

Okay so here's how it works. You take a jab like that, turnbowm, boy do I hope you got your money's worth. Because congratulations, you made the list. This is the one and only response from me you will ever get.  I am my own moderator, and you are banned. I see your name, I stop reading. Got it? Good.

Yes Easy, this being 30 years ago there's probably all kinds of stuff that's better by now. In fact I KNOW there's at least some stuff that's better now. As will become clear, that is the whole point of the journey. One step at a time.

Sorry. Okay. Now where were we? Oh yeah, DJ. 

DJ had this great saying: The best rack is no rack. This being the 1990's and me being tapped out from remodeling all my meager money went into components with precious little left over for fancy racks. Especially not if the rack was liable to only make things worse. (I did of course buy one anyway. But that's jumping ahead.)  

In the beginning my McCormack amp (yes the one with the vibration control spike, the spike that started it all) was on a plank. Just a bare plank. 2x12. When you see guys with the cinder block and plank looking for a better rack, that was me. Except I didn't even have the cinder blocks!

Because, being sound quality obsessed, in order to add a rack it had to be better than the floor. Or at least not too much worse. Which almost all racks are. (Do NOT take my word for it- try it and see for yourself!) For sure this being the 90's all racks were much worse than the floor. All I could afford anyway. 

Fortunately one thing I figured out early was you can test materials in small pieces. Learned this from the McCormack spike. Manual said try things like a coin under the spike. Sure enough the coin did change the sound! Different materials had different sounds! 

Tried a whole bunch of different things. Wood of different species (pine, oak, cocobolo, etc) sounds good, but not neutral. MDF sounds neutral (less colored) but not as good, if that makes any sense. A lot of guys prefer the little added euphonic kick of certain hardwoods. I was leery of something that made certain instruments sound "better". I don't want them to sound any particular way at all. That's the job of the recording, mastering, and pressing people. Mine is to display, not editorialize on, their work. 

This took a good year at least. Long enough to be sick and tired of laying down on the floor to play a record. But also all that time made me good and familiar with that on the floor sound. My rack had better be at least as good as the floor!

(DJ would build me a rack, but for about $7k and remember: 1994. That's about a million in today's dollars.)

What finally came out of all this, sure enough, did turn out to be at least as good as the floor. https://theanalogdept.com/images/spp6_pics/C_miller_web/TTstand_1.jpg

Have you thought about using active vibration control or custom designed Silent Running Audio made for your equipment ? BDR is one approach and I am sure results were positive...just wondering if active vibration control or if SRA is on par, or better, given the technology used. 
For turntables isolation is critical for everything else it is not. Just a waste of money.

Buy music not nonsense.