Negotiate good price

I went to a dealer last week and listen to some really sweet pieces.  I was ready to throw down some coin but am confused about the dealers approach.  He comes in the room and says how is everyhting.  I say it is amazing this is just the sound I am looking for.  He says okay and leaves.  Comes back in 10 minutes and I am ready for hardball.  I sit back with my hands above my head in an inviting posture and say- can you beat prices that I see on Audiogon?  He says he will be right back- great i think he knows- I know my stuff.  Another guy comes in and says he needs to use the room for a client.  I say where is the other guy and he says he's on the phone.  So I wait in the lobby for 20 minutes and don't see anyone. I left my name on a paper and put it on the desk and ask him to call me with the best he can do on the system because I can buy some of it on AUdiomart.  I asked my wife and she thinks that's too hardball- maybe i should have lied and said I'm shopping around for best price.
Any info on how to speed pitch softballs?   
tubebuffer
@tubebuffer,
I’ve been taught to always try to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. But after seeing your comment of:

I’m always cruising these pages looking for next best tweak for my box.
I have to agree with what everyone has to say here. How is that possible? These Agoners take their audio very seriously and I hope you may have learned something?

@douglas_schroeder,
The above, nice.

I know this is off topic here but I read your upgrade/review of the Kinki Studio EX-M1(+?) integrated amp. At the time of reading I had no idea what OP Amps were.

Thanks to you, I know what they are, the different manufacturer types, how they perform and after watching this you tube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rs-1KPxFL8 (in german of course) how to install them.

Very informative indeed and I’m sure the OP (or anyone else?) doesn’t give a flip if this is off topic.

Anybody that kicks you out of the room because somebody else wants to get in there doesn't deserve your money.  No reason you couldn't listen along with the other prospective customer.  If they are interested in a sale, treat you as a sale, today or tomorrow.  I've never purchased anything on first pass in my dealer's audio paradise. But over time I have come back time and time again and ultimately spent and continue to spend a boatload of money (for me).  It is about relationships, not just sales.
Mr Pgaulkie, I believe the other man with wife probably not not want me to be in the room with his wife.  Sometimes I am simply too much man. I think she want time to stay around for while with those eyes.
Tyray, please a compliment to Mr Schroeder is compliment to me.  He is fine man with me.  Please enjoy your audio reproduction system and perhaps you and yours make another.
I can tell you from experience that the disappearing salesman had bigger fish to fry elsewhere in the store. My guess is that you had been to that store previously and were known as a stroker. You got your demo and were left alone to listen--that's something. The mistake here was not so much yours as his. When you asked him for a price he should have given you one and asked whether you wanted it in the same color.I'm not sure I'd keep either of you in my store for longer than necessary.
Lol! I actually meant his other post at 10-26-2020 8:51pm!
And yep I do get the Borat comparison.