Trade off? New vs used

Tough choices,  would love to get a quality $30k preamp for a used price, eg Ayre Kx-r 20.

so do I get a new Audio Research ref 6se for $17k or get a comparably priced $28k preamp used for about same price?
emergingsoul
 Ive bought many pieces without ever hearing them. Even when I was lucky enough to find a dealer that had what I was looking for, the rest of the system was random and the room was way different than mine. Not a definitive demo. When Im looking to upgrade I zero in on a few brands and do as much research as possible, including soliciting advice here. My entire current system was purchased this way and Im very happy  ( for now ! ) The only components I bought unheard and was unhappy with was pre amps, and I was fortunate to sell them without really incurring much loss$. Finding a nice used piece at 50% off full retail is the way to go.
The safest and best thing to do is to audition, which reputable dealers will encourage. Whatever you are considering has to work well in the context of your system, room, and musical preferences. Emergingsoul, where do you live?
You should talk with John Rutan at Audio Connection in Verona, he has both the ARC and the Ayre.