Selecting Preamp for MC452 amp seeking most enjoyable experience possible in price range

It’s been over two years that I’ve heard my B&w 702 s2 because after hearing them once Playing with a friends class a amp I could never go back to listening to them on my integrated amp rotel ra-1570  . Hard to go backwards in listening experience once that veil had been lifted :-) I recently was given a McIntosh 452 for my birthday & wasn’t quite planning to go that route but thankful nonetheless to have it . Now I’m wondering how to intelligently choose a preamp that is musically satisfying, has numerous input options , system matching,  and also best value for lower end component range of 3500. To 6000. (Hard to believe 6000. Is ever considered a “lower” range but in audio I see it is Apparently the case when I flip through Sterophile or The Absolute Sound Mags . 
I was told by a local retailer to look into the Anthem Preamp as a solid all around choice hmmmm .? Was wondering what other preamp options I may be overlooking or unaware of used or new . I really was hoping for one that has Phono-Stage and perhaps use it with my stand alone 2Qute Chordette DAC & Velodyne Direct Drive 18 Sub.  But mostly I am hoping for purchasing a component that sonically pairs well between the MC amp and the B&w speakers and just get down to the actually listening to the music and getting by vibe on :-) Any advice would be so appreciated as you guys on this forum seem to be in it for the love of audio .
128x128kristiemcp
I was given a McIntosh C28 SS preamp, along with McIntosh 2250 SS Amp many years ago, used for many years.

I dedided to get back to tubes, had the factory certify them, sold them, then bought tube preamp, and tube amp.

this article helped me decide to buy McIntosh Vintage mx110z Tube Tuner/Preamp (you want the z version)

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue77/vintage_mcintosh_experience.htm

Best FM Tuner sound I ever had or heard. My Carver Tuner could beat it for weak signals but I only listen to WBGO Jazz, my dedicated FM antenna aimed at it’s source. It gets many other stations also. Most younger than me, and even very few my age have ever heard excellent FM I have found.

Love mx110z’s sound, my Reel to Reel, and especially it’s 2 phono inputs, McIntosh preamps have the wonderful mode switch which I find invaluable refining my system, and individual trim controls to match input volumes.

My prior SS C28, I actually preferred the TT’s switchable built in phono preamp to the C28’s phono.

another mx110z link

http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/MX110.htm

"... Also notice the 452 requires 4.2 volts on its balanced inputs to reach its rated power output. With a typical Audio Research preamp, this might mean you could end up cranking the volume higher than you expect for normal listening but finding the sound balance pretty thin; lacking in dynamics and bass slam, depending on your source. At least, this is what I have experienced..."

Same for me with a AR LS-7 and a Mac MC402.
Hilde45 I have spent months reading and trying to sort through the topic of preamps . But being that I am a donkey level audio person half of it doesn’t make sense to me in what equates to what & I end up buying stuff local shop says is going to get me to a decent audio listening experience . I do agree with you Verdantaudio on the b&w’s being to forward ( bright ? Or not my fav sound signature if that’s what it is referred to in audio lingo?) don’t know . I started of first thinking a person buys speakers then goes from there .clearly I was clueless. But i posted on this site seeking info from others who one aren’t trying to make a sell off me by recommending products they are authorized dealers to sell , aren’t the type of people who think Costco components are “hi-if” and are really savy in their wide range of audio experience and personal knowledge.
 Mtmug your comment “make note of the input impedance of the MC452. At 22k ohms, it’s pretty close to the minimum load recommended by AR for most of their preamps. Also notice the 452 requires 4.2 volts on its balanced inputs to reach its rated power output” already helped me out immensely!!!! See I didn’t even know that was something I needed to need to factor in “ So thank you for educating me on that now I can read through specs of components on how it needs to relate to my specific audio setup
So far I have made bad audio purchases and have thought they were great due to audio shop salesman and lack of understanding . Just trying to put some intelligence into the mix this time around from people who live and breathe sound 
I have a smaller Mac amp, an MC302 married to a Mac C2500 tube preamp.  The sound is heavenly.  If you don’t need the latest DAC, a newer McIntosh C2600 can be bought for around $4500 and the C2700 which is their newest model at 7K.  Almost every person on the McIntosh forum use a McIntosh tube pre with the McIntosh solid state amp.  The synergy is off the charts.