Marantz SA-1 holding up well agains next gen.?

How do people feel the Marantz SA-1 is holding up against some of the newer SACD and redbook players? I am particularly interested in comparison with the SA-11s1. Thanks.

--will
wrtickle
Lkdog, your a funny guy, My insight is that the SA-1 is an excellent machine. This was a thread regarding the Marantz. You and Jes45 brought the TRL stuff. I never had mentioned ANYTHING about MY preference in machines. I happen to own Modwright too. I tried to saty on topic, and have been keeping to myself, my feelings. My Knowledge comes from REAL experience in Buying, Trying, Comparing, and reselling over 40 sources in the past 2 years. On top of what I have had in my own system, I have also compared to at least 20 others. I dare say, it's a bit more intensive research than you, and Jes45. As far as retained values, I guess it really does not seem important to you guys, well, I am different, retained value is EXtremely important to me.

A fellow a'gonner ran into some $$$ issues, and unfortuneately, had to sell his APL 3910. He was offered over 1000 more than what he paid. Now thats REAL $$$$ VALUE, not perceived.

I hear ya about TRL doing over 600 mods in the past year, and my thought is this. If they can do so many mods, what the heck are they doing. Alex cannot, cause each machine take Alex personnaly over 25 hours to do. He works 18 plus hour days, and is totally passionate to get it done RIGHT. He also upgrades often, as he makes these better.
His policy is if ya are not happy return it, he could never have a policy like TRL which as YOU STATE, if your not happy, he gives your money back....I take it, you still keep the machine, with the mods? Well, it just makes me wonder how LITTLE these mods really cost.

I dunno, and BTW, I am VERY happy person, my nickname is SMILIN MILIN, and yes, I am SMILIN right now, knowing I Invested in the RIGHT sources.

Happy Holidays

Steve
Howdy Steve!

I've been looking for those $400 to $500 NEW Sony DVP-NS900V's all over eBay and haven't found a single one.

Seems that everyone is doing well locating them right here, at Audiogon, in the Wanted ad section. :)

As for the number of TRL mods being sold, they have done many, many more mods than most of their "competition". This is probably due to the fact that they charge so little for their mod :) that guys can actually afford them.

Thankfully, they are being sold right here, at Audiogon, the World's high end market place.

As always, Steve, thanks for your input. :)

Season's Greetings!
Stereotimes.com just did a review on the Marantz SA11 Sacd/cd player. Check out the review. Lew compares it with some other first rate players. Enjoy !!! Brian
711smilin (Steve Milin):

There is a long list of APL units for sale here on Audiogon, the World's High End Audio Marketplace.

There is a list of TRL units for sale here, too. Folks move on, they change gear ... it is common in this hobby. I've moved on from the TRL SA-14. Anyone interested should e-mail me, directly.

I did notice that from the list of APL units that I see for sale, most have prices which represent around a $2K loss. That's appropriate, given that the mod costs so much more.

You see, Steve, you rarely get the money back out of anything, once it is modified. You can put dubs on an Escalade and lose all of the money you spent on tires and wheels, selling the vehicle a month later. (That's just a fact of life and is not bound by our hobby alone).

I'm happy that you have found a digital front end that integrates so well with your system and to your ears. :)

Certainly, that is all any of us can wish for. FYI, I am very pleased with the choices I've made and my system has never sounded so beautifully, so natural.

Best wishes to you and yours, Steve.

Happy holidays,

Jack
711smilin-

Yes, the thread is about Marantz units. I have one. MrChips has several apparently. Baranyi has a couple. Jes45 has one. You have none to my knowledge and have never owned a TRL modded one either. I never claimed the TRL modded unit was better-just that some people thought it compared favorably or even surpassed the SA1 in part or full in their opinion. Just opinions-that is what makes this hobby fun.

And who mentioned Alex and APL? Not sure why you brought him up but since you did.....

Just for the record:
Here is a guy apparently taking a $2800 hit on an APL unit:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtltran&1137550757

Here is a guy taking a $2100 loss on an APL unit:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1137795125

Here is a guy taking a $2000 bath on another APL unit:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1140142052

Like I said, the initial investor in a modded unit usually will not recoup that back fully. It doesn't matter who the modder is and really reflects little on the modder. I am sure all of the above units are quite excellent.

There is an odd thing about audiophiles and modded units. If they bought the initial modded unit it was worth every penny. If they go to buy a used modded unit-they will not pay nearly the same price-no matter how good. It is almost like the price drop on new gear. You open the box and it is now worth 30% less. Crazy hobby.

Digital sources especially are the worst investment in Audio. My advice- Buy used and buy modded units used if possible.

As for Alex's workload-sounds like he needs to hire some help. He is working too hard.

And also for the record- no one has taken up TRL on their Money Back offer yet to my knowledge.

I am also glad you have found happiness after trying out 40 digital units in two years. I am never sure as to what to make of it when you make that claim other than you are quite
passionate in your search.

Finally, yes I am a very funny guy.

Have a nice holiday Steve.