Marantz SA-1 holding up well agains next gen.?

How do people feel the Marantz SA-1 is holding up against some of the newer SACD and redbook players? I am particularly interested in comparison with the SA-11s1. Thanks.

--will
wrtickle

Showing 5 responses by 711smilin

Lkdog, Jack, If the TRL is so great, how come they are resold very often, and at no more than stock units, in most situations. Boy oh boy, even Bariyani is having to discount his SA14. Why is this....then you have the balls to knock other forum members? I have not been posting primarily due to your attacks against me. Now I see you guys attacking others. It serves no ones best interests. I happen to like the Marantz units, yes, stock and all. I believe they are very good. The SA-1 is ROCK solid, well made. I dunno about the comparison with a Patek(which I collect)as they are hand made by world class experts. But this is one hellofaunit, and IMHO blows away the TRL SA14.

Steve
Lkdog, your a funny guy, My insight is that the SA-1 is an excellent machine. This was a thread regarding the Marantz. You and Jes45 brought the TRL stuff. I never had mentioned ANYTHING about MY preference in machines. I happen to own Modwright too. I tried to saty on topic, and have been keeping to myself, my feelings. My Knowledge comes from REAL experience in Buying, Trying, Comparing, and reselling over 40 sources in the past 2 years. On top of what I have had in my own system, I have also compared to at least 20 others. I dare say, it's a bit more intensive research than you, and Jes45. As far as retained values, I guess it really does not seem important to you guys, well, I am different, retained value is EXtremely important to me.

A fellow a'gonner ran into some $$$ issues, and unfortuneately, had to sell his APL 3910. He was offered over 1000 more than what he paid. Now thats REAL $$$$ VALUE, not perceived.

I hear ya about TRL doing over 600 mods in the past year, and my thought is this. If they can do so many mods, what the heck are they doing. Alex cannot, cause each machine take Alex personnaly over 25 hours to do. He works 18 plus hour days, and is totally passionate to get it done RIGHT. He also upgrades often, as he makes these better.
His policy is if ya are not happy return it, he could never have a policy like TRL which as YOU STATE, if your not happy, he gives your money back....I take it, you still keep the machine, with the mods? Well, it just makes me wonder how LITTLE these mods really cost.

I dunno, and BTW, I am VERY happy person, my nickname is SMILIN MILIN, and yes, I am SMILIN right now, knowing I Invested in the RIGHT sources.

Happy Holidays

Steve
Brian, I hear ya buddy, but hey, I am workin it, how bout you? Riemyo your flavor of the month now? Ya got your system working properly yet? I remember when I got to your placde exactly at 1 pm, the time you requested, there was a note saying you were running late, so, I went to pick up a couple bottles of BV Tapestry, 1997, 100 a bottle. When I went to find them in you kitchen, I could not. You put them in the FREEZER........whoa nelly....I look at fine audio, like fine wine...I gotta take care of it properly. I remember this cause, WOW, was I looking forward to hearing your AMAZING system. I also remember your teling me excuses why your system sounded so off that day.

Talk about disappointment. Then you continually snub your nose at MY SYSTEM, well I tell you, it is not only MY opinion, but that of a few others who heard yours that same day. These people felt my IYO, inferior system sounded as good or better than your 100K plus system.

Remember when we were playing Chuck Mangione, Children of sanchez, and when the Bass drums came on, your speakers almost collapsed? You RAN to the Blowtorch to turn it down. I dunno, but I was not impressed, especially with your condensending attitude towards my system, which is a work in progress. Yeah, buddy, keep up the great work. I will invite ya over in a couple more months, when I am done. Than you can really tell me whatcha think.

Remember Brian, Big dollar systems do not mean they are supperior, they just mean they cost more. I have not said anything about that day, but, buddy, keep your house cleaner, man, when I was looking for the wine, I opened your frig, and WHOA, mold, gross mold. All I can advise is to get yoru house in order, and your priorities sorted out. Thats my New Years resolution. I would be more than happy to come by again, but, only after the cleaning crews been inn. I was itching for a week buddy, oh, I almost forgot....what was the deal with the accusations of someone stealing the Nils Lofgren cd?, YOU left it in my player........anyway, thanks for all the knowledge you imparted.

Meery Christmas, and Happy New Year

Steve