Gallo 3.5 vs Merlin VSM-MXe

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade to different speakers. At the moment I'm running Gallo Strada's with a T3 Sub. While I enjoy this system, I would like a little more coherence and weight. Some more musicality would be nice too. I've been given the opportunity to get a pair of used Merlin VSM-Mxe with super bam for a nice price, or a new pair of Gallo 3.5's for the same $.
Any ideas?
g_goodwin
I used to own a pair of Gallo Strada with T3 sub. I bought it without
listening to them first because of all the glowing reviews. I waited patiently
breaking them in for at least 500 hours, all I can say about these speakers
is LEAN, LEAN, LEAN, LEAN and THIN. I sold them and lost a fair
amount of $$$. BTW. I was using Gamut D200 MK3, Pass F5, Virtue
Audio sensation and Dynaco ST-70 and nothing can fixed it, it's just a
lean mean machine. Zero Texture.
The gallo tweeters are indeed leean/bright/crisp. Lots of glass in your room is no help either. Placement out in the room will help some. Obviously, window coverings as well. The size of the Strada is not going to give you the musical weight no matter what you throw at them. If you can tame your room some, the reference series will give you more of what you are looking for. Beyond that, tube CD/DAC and Pre amp would be my next move.
I don't think lean is a right word to describe a tweeter sound. I'm talking about the midrange. My room is fully carpeted, fabric furnitures and curtain all over the windows.
For what you are looking for, with the right amplification and setup, I think the Gallos will carry more weight and might be able to challenge the MErlins, but I would expect the two to always sound a good bit different in overall presentation, which might matter more depending on your tastes.
I love my Merlins (VSM MXE) - but my room is Wood/and Plaster, somehow very mellow, so the Merlin fits perfectly; I am a violinist and play an early Guarneri, which somehow has a similar balance of grit, warmth and clarity; so I feel right at home here.