Advice for first pair of Maggies

I's like some feedback on purchasing my first pair of Maggies, specifically a new pair of MMGs vs. a used pair of something else.

A new pair of MMGs are the top of what I can pay now, and ideally I'd go with something less. Are there any advantages to the MMGs over other used models? Should any older models be avoided?

I will be powering the speakers with TAD Hibachi amps and an AES AE-3 pre-amp. I think this will make a good combo from what I've read, but I haven't actually heard these speakers in person.
meskandar
I too am considering buying Maggies, likely used. I've read about the delamination problems mentioned above so I called Magnepan for the straight answer. I was told the glue to attach the wires was changed in Sept. '05 so any speakers manufactured after that date should hopefully last longer.

This is not to say older speakers should not be considered. Only that a careful inspection will be needed and a price adjustment made if repair is necessary.

Good luck
(((Are any other details needed to determine if the room will be a good fit? Thanks for your help!))

Don't forget your AE3 pre amp
Inverts polarity flip both speakers polarity.
When you get the speakers remove the jumper and install the supplied 1.2 Ohm resistors.
Enjoy
Johnnyr
I have owned both MMGs and MG12s.
The MG12s are a big step above. The MMGs are fantastic for the money.
I would consider a 2x200watts amp minimum. Because the MMGS is a very stable load, you don't need a super expensive amp. A pro amp will do.
I would consider mopad speaker pads under each feet so that the speakers stand straight up (you can use bricks as counter weights.
If you do not have much space behing them, I would place acoustic foam panels behind them.
Mangnepan sound is a GREAT experience.
If you listen to any bass dominant music such ad reggae, electronica, dub,various rock, etc....I would consider another speaker...the mg12s excelled at many things but also had obvious flaws.
Phasecorrect

Excellent point...I've got the 1.7's and Diana Krall sounds like she's naked and on top of me. Led Zepp makes me want get a sub woofer.

I would sat Maggies are best for vocal jazz...pretty average for rock and modern country.