Audio Aero Prima 24/192 Mk II cd player......

I would like to have some opinions on this cd player .....

Your comments are appreciated.

Chris
bluebull
I agree with Grannyring that the Prima can be a little forward in some cases. Don't forget everything is relative!!

Is "forward" supposed to be bad? Some of you seem to take offense to what I find is a good trait. I guess that is further proof of relativity.

Doing A/B comparisons with the Consonance, CAL, Music Hall, Sony ES and Jolida CD players I have had in my system (the reference point), the Prima is a little more forward in the midrange than any of them. This impression could stem from the fact that the Prima has exemplary soundstage depth. However, it is more laid back than the Arcam and Cary CD players I have tried. It all depends on the comparison you are making so don't leave out this pertinent information when making a "generalization."
Judy 426 thanks for your comments. I owned the Ack DAC V2 and it did better the Prima. I love the Prima, but trust me it was a contest. My system when I had both units was far from forward sounding.

Cain & Cain IM Ben double horns
Wright 3.5 SET monoblocks
Wright top of the line preamp
Tara Air 1 IC's
BPT conditioner
Echo Buster and other room treatments

Very nice and intimate sounding system that was very revealing. As good as the Prima is it did sound forward compared to many top end units passing through my reference system. I prefered my Metronome C20 Signature DAC also at the time.

This is a matter of personal taste of coarse. I just found the forward nature a little much over extended listening sessions.

Bill
The Prima has one advantage over the Ack dAck that is undeniable - no battery! If you like long listening sessions, or don't want to wake up in the middle of the night trying to remember if you shut off the dAck, the minor audio differences are not worth quibbling about.
"the minor audio differences are not worth quibbling about"

That is what this hobby and love is all about! Those small differences in one's system, room and personal taste is what makes a system come together in the end. It is what turns a stereo into music.

Agree with the battery comment and that is why I don't own it any longer. However, my system is on for day parts all the time!

For those who don't care about small differences - continue to enjoy what you have and pay no attention to the rest of us nuts :-)

Bill
Please keep in mind that I am replacing a Mark Levinson 37 and 36s.Does the Prima Mk II have what it takes to compete with the Levinsons ? I have a gut feeling that a tube output cd player will suit my system well.I also need the balanced outputs .Not much to compete in the market at the pricepoint of the Prima with its features.
Not the Capitole Mk II ~ dont want to spend that large amount of money on a cd player.It would have been the logical purchase...
Is the Prima what I am looking for or am I expecting too much ...?